1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2018 7:48 AM by Nicole Klisch

Funnel chart

Gabor Burlacu

After searching the net for some time for funnel charts Tableau solutions, I found that the proposed solutions were still
      missing something: from not being too much of a funnel visually, to some labeling issues, and to a bigger problem - that is the limitation of having the values progressively decreasing from top to bottom (else the funnel would look funny). And in a sales pipeline case, where the opportunities move from one stage to the next, the total amounts by each stage do not necessarily decrease from top to bottom.

I am aware that the funnel chart may not be the best solution to visually represent your data, but if your boss/client really wants it, you may have to deliver. So here is the solution that I implemented in order to draw a funnel chart in Tableau that does not have any
      of the above specified issues. There may be some other that I did not see yet…

Please feel free to use it and tune it up if need it. Attached you will find the solution files.
      Funnel.jpg 

• 1. Re: Funnel chart
          Aaron Evans

Hi,

Really like this solution, how can i apply it to my own data, do you have a step by step guide on how to recreate this?

Regards

aaron

• 2. Re: Funnel chart
            Gabor Burlacu

Hi Aaron,

There is a zip file attached, you can have a look at the input & output files as well as the Tableau file itself, with some notes.

If you still need help, you can send me a sample of your data, glad to help.

Cheers, Gabi.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Funnel chart
              Aaron Evans

Hi Gabi,

Thanks for your reply, i have had a look at your files and had a play around with your solution, the only problem i have is that the data for which i need to use your solution on is taken from a direct feed from a Sales CRM server direct into Tableau.

Therefore i cannot create the references as you have in excel, any thoughts??

Aaron

• 4. Re: Funnel chart
                Gabor Burlacu

Hi Aaron,

Yes, you can reshape the data that your Tableau workbook connects to, and as a side of this, I almost always reshape the data I use in my Tableau visuals; I used rarely the data in its initial format.

In your case, you have 2 options, reshape the data on the server side or on the Tableau side. You can have the Sales CRM dba create a query for you, that query will reshape the data and your Tableau will connect to that query. Or you can connect to the Sales CRM server as you currently do, and build a Custom SQL Query in Tableau. Regardless the option you'll use, the query should look something like this:

SELECT 1 as [Point ID], OppID, OppName,..., WtdNetRev/4 AS [Wtd Net Rev], NetRev/4  AS [Net Rev] FROM FunnelInput

UNION ALL

Select 2 as [Point ID], OppID, OppName,..., WtdNetRev/4 AS [Wtd Net Rev], NetRev/4  AS [Net Rev] FROM FunnelInput

UNION ALL

Select 3 as [Point ID], OppID, OppName,..., WtdNetRev/4 AS [Wtd Net Rev], NetRev/4  AS [Net Rev] FROM FunnelInput

UNION ALL

Select 4 as [Point ID], OppID, OppName,..., WtdNetRev/4 AS [Wtd Net Rev], NetRev/4  AS [Net Rev] FROM FunnelInput

I used the fields from my input XL file here. The bolded stuff is important: you have to define 4 Point IDs and every amount must be divided by 4. The rest of the fields stay unchanged.

Now you can use the twbx file, save it as twb, connect to the tde file that is created while you save as twb, connect to your Sales CRM Server new query / create the Custom SQL Query. In Tableau, use <Replace Data Source> in order to replace the current data source by the new one. Then use <Replace References> in order to use your fields, as surely they are named differently than mine. That's all.

Cheers,

Gabi

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Funnel chart
                  ottame.oettam

Beautiful and useful viz, thank you for sharing!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Funnel chart
                    Aaron Evans

Hi Gabi,

I have attached my worksheet, i want to create a sales funnel from Stage by MRR, could you apply your logic to it?

Regards

Aaron

• 7. Re: Funnel chart
                      Gabor Burlacu

Hi Aaron,

Here is the Funnel workbook with your data. I've included only the needed fields for this exercise, and excluded all the records where MRR was NULL (I did extract your data to a local database and did the cleaning within the db). In Tableau, I've connected to my local database, as you would connect to your server database, used the Custom Query and I did filter out the previous fiscal years, so you only have the current and future FY data. And also, I made a small change - the only <Closed Won> existent record was having MRR=0; I did modify it to 100K, I wanted your business to look good . Luckily, your cleaned up data has 5 stages, as in my original workbook. For more than 5 stages the workbook must be modified in order to consider more trapezoids.

Cheers,

Gabi

• 8. Re: Funnel chart
                        Aaron Evans

Hi Gabi,

I'm still struggling to link this to my live database, i have tried to change the data source but i think the issue is around the data points??

Regards

Aaron

• 9. Re: Funnel chart
                          Gabor Burlacu

Hi Aaron,

You have my original workbook and then the workbook that I've create based on your own data, both functional. IMO, this is a resolved case, not sure where your issue is.

Cheers,

Gabi

• 10. Re: Funnel chart
                            Anthony Cho

This is a fair bit of coding!

How much time did you need to complete this?

I need to figure out if it's worth investing my time before taking on the task.

This will be a really good viz for showing segmented data for our suppliers annually.

Thanks in advance!

• 11. Re: Funnel chart
                              Gabor Burlacu

Hello,

I think it was a 2-day work for this viz, had also to remember some geometry...

Gabi

• 12. Re: Funnel chart
                                Anthony Cho

I'm going to assume it's two days uninterrupted, working from home with lots of coffee eh?

Plus, do you know if you used any feature that's only available in version 9? I'm still using version 8 at work, so I'm not sure if I can replicate this.

Thanks Gabi

• 13. Re: Funnel chart
                                  Gabor Burlacu

Hi Anthony,

There was no special feature used from version 9, just drawing polygons. Polygon option is available in version 8, so it should be no problem. In case your data has more than 5 segments (as it is in my example), you'll have to define more polygons and update the formulas to reference the new points/polygons.

Cheers,

Gabi

• 14. Re: Funnel chart
                                    Anthony Cho

Excellent. I think I'm going to give this one a try then.

Thanks for your comment on additional polygons. I only have 4 segments for my data but will keep that in mind if it grows.

Much appreciated!

1 2 Previous Next