2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2015 9:50 AM by Tom Horan

parameters for multiple dimensions

Tom Horan

Hello tableau masters-

I'm currently trying to figure out if there's a way to create a parameter across multiple dimensions. I've created a map which looks at two different dimensions across various cities. The value for the dimensions are the same and can be seen in the screen shot below. Ideally, instead of having multiple filters I would like to have one filter or parameter card where the user can select the value they want to see. In this case it would be Not a Driver, Driver, or Key Driver. Behind the scenes- Not a driver = 1, Driver = 2, Key Driver = 4.

Right now I am able to look at one value per dimension on the same map, but cannot look at "key drivers" across the two dimensions. Is there a way to do this that I am missing? Thanks!

tableau.PNG

• 1. Re: parameters for multiple dimensions
          Lukasz Mastalerz

Hi, how about this approach?

1. Create a parameter "Driver Parameter" with values 1, 2, 4

2. Create calculated field "Physicians = [Driver Parameter]"

3. Create calculated field "[Health Systems and...] = [Driver Parameter]"

4. Add both calculated fields to filters and set both filters to TRUE

Lukasz

• 2. Re: parameters for multiple dimensions
            Tom Horan

Thank you for your suggestion. I tried doing this but for some reason it would exclude all of my values except for “Not a Driver”. This is the current view of my worksheet. What I’m trying to accomplish is having one filter where you can click on any of the 3 drivers, and see them across the two dimensions. Example- clicking on “key drivers” and seeing all of the key drivers for Health Plans and the State Legislation dimensions as well.