6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2015 6:31 AM by Jonathan Drummey

Community Appreciation - Jonathan Drummey

Rody Zakovich

Hello Everyone!

In honor of TCC15, I wanted to start a series of Community Appreciation talks for the month of October.

Each day, I will be writing about individuals in our community who go above and beyond to help solve questions and share knowledge.

I believe there are several individuals who dedicate many hours (And sometimes brain cells) to help make our community be so great! And I just want to recognize them for there contributions.

Though I have several people in mind, I don't want this to be solely "MY" appreciation, but the community's. So please feel free to email people who you want to give a BIG Thank You to, OR (If you want to) volunteer to write up on somebody one day this month.

You can reach me anytime at RodyZakovich@gmail.com

My goal is to write one everyday before 2:00 PM EST (I'm not off to good start so far...), so if you want to recognize someone, please let me know as soon as possible.

Ok, now on to some recognition!

To kick off the series, I wanted to recognize an individual who I know has certainly helped out dozens of members in our community, Mr.Jonathan Drummey .

Whenever you see responses from Jonathan, you can tell that he really cares about helping. No matter how complex the question might be, Jonathan is always willing to jump in (And generally, give the correct answer). But, it is not Jonathan's ability to answer complex questions that makes him so great, no...., it is Jonathan's ability to explain complex logic in a way that everyone can understand that is wonderful. His attention to detail is amazing, and one that only comes from someone who truly wants to teach others. I can't even express in words how much I have learned from him, and I'm sure many others can say the same.

I recommend everyone (If you haven't already) check out his blog on Tableau and data visualization.

Drawing with Numbers | Thoughts on data visualization and Tableau

There are many detailed explanations on how to solve some of the "head-banging" issues we face when working with Tableau.

Also, I just read today that Jonathan has been named a Tableau Zen Master again for 2015-2016! So a big congrats there.

It is for all these things, and more that we say THANK YOU. We appreciate all the hard work and dedication you put in to making this community great!

Best regards,

Rody Zakovich

Be sure to stay tuned for tomorrow's Community Appreciation!

• 1. Re: Community Appreciation - Jonathan Drummey
          Alexander Mou

Joe Mako!

On Thursday, October 1, 2015, Rody Zakovich <

• 2. Re: Community Appreciation - Jonathan Drummey
            Simon Runc

hi Rody,

What a lovely idea...

"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach him how to fish..."

This is what you get when Jonathan answers a question, or contributes to a discussion. This is why I have learned so much from his contributions, you don't only get an answer to your question, but also with a full explanation of exactly what's going on, so you are armed to solve many future questions yourself.

We shouldn't also under-estimate the time (and inquisitive mind) that this 'deep' understanding has come from. Although we may get a 10-15 line answer, and explanation. The understanding of what's going on 'under-the-bonnet' will have been gleamed from many hours experimenting, looking at the code/query being sent, translating and understanding. My Tableau knowledge has been increased/accelerated hugely from this 'experimental' work, and his willingness to share this knowledge (as well as explain it in such a clear way).

There are many examples I could detail here, but I think this recent help he gave to me sums it up.

Re: LOD from multiple Sources?

Very detailed knowledge, great explanation of exactly what is going on, and why? (from both a conceptual and mechanical perspective) and always (for a man much in demand I'd guess) happy to jump in when we shine our big JD symbol in the sky!! (aka ping him!)

A huge THANK YOU from me

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Community Appreciation - Jonathan Drummey
              pooja.gandhi

His blog is my hero. He definitely has a big hand in improving my know-how of Tableau. One very good thing about his posts and responses is that he doesn’t just target answering the specific question asked but goes well beyond and explains ‘how’ tableau computes the way it does in which I agree what Simon said above.

Everything from how joins are performed in Tableau to how LOD expressions are computed, he just has it in him to give detailed explanations which I truly admire. His responses end up helping folks who are just reading the posts and not just the OP who asked the question.

My gratitude goes out to you in its highest order.

A well-deserved, Zen status this year! Congratulations, Jonathan. I hope to continue learning from you.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 5. Re: Community Appreciation - Jonathan Drummey
                Toby Erkson

Jonathan is my "patience is a virtue" hero.  His posts are thoughtful -- by that I mean he really thinks about what he's explaining and goes into detail.  Simon, great observation!  He is one heck of a fishing instructor! 

• 6. Re: Community Appreciation - Jonathan Drummey
                  Jonathan Drummey

Hi everyone,

I just found this (October was a crazy month for me in the leadup to TC15). Thanks for the appreciations!! And Rody, an extra thanks for starting this, you're part of what makes this Tableau community so great!

Jonathan