13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2015 6:18 AM by Nick Heigerick

Tableau Server implementation and utilization

Nick Heigerick

Hello All,

I am the product manager for Tableau at Emory University, we have recently implemented Tableau Server and own a 10 core license. We are also setting up a shared offering around this service to help our schools and healthcare system become more collaborative with the hope of gaining deeper insights into our information. What I'd like to gain some perspective on is how other higher ed institutions are setting up Tableau Server or utilizing Tableau Online and offering it to their faculty and staff?

• 1. Re: Tableau Server implementation and utilization
          Michela Spitz

Hi Nick,  right now I am using it in my department for financial analysis.  I am specifically limiting it to our PIs for access right now as it contains sensitive info.  I know that our foundation also uses it but I am not sure as to how they have set up their access.  I guess I am not sure specifically what you are looking for info-wise - can you elaborate?

Michela

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau Server implementation and utilization
            Nick Heigerick

Hi Michela,

Thanks for replying to my question, I am very interested to know if any other schools have set up a recharge model for Tableau in terms of a service offering. Also, whether you have a service offering around Tableau or not how is access granted to the software, both desktop and server. For instance,  the product management team (mostly me) is currently the single point of contact between Emory and Tableau form all perspectives. If any one wants a Desktop license, access to our instance of Server, or is interested in Tableau as a business solution they would come to us. How does it work at your institution if I'm a PI and would like to acquire a desktop license and collaborate with a group of 10 others on server?

• 3. Re: Tableau Server implementation and utilization
              kim.pham.0

Hi Nick,

We own a core server license and our users include Student Administration and Admissions, as well as our IR group and Business Managers.  The visualizations have been well received across our admin offices.

Each Division or Department is responsible for purchasing their own licenses of Desktop. 

IT maintains the server as well as performs upgrades, etc.

Cheers,

Kim

• 4. Re: Tableau Server implementation and utilization
                Nick Heigerick

Hi Kim,

Thanks for sharing about your set up and those utilizing tableau at your institution. I am curious to know how you determine who gets access to server. We plan to grant  server access to anyone but control who is allowed to publish content. Also, for each of the groups you mentioned did you them their own site on sever or is everyone working out of the same site?

• 5. Re: Tableau Server implementation and utilization
                  Michela Spitz

Here at UAA we do not have a widespread adoption of Tableau yet.  So I am just setting it up for my Center, although I would like to get my College to adopt it.  I set up sites for each sub-unit within the Center.  We do not have a recharge model although I did split the cost of setting up the server between the sub-units.  Right now I am the only one with admin access to our server. I have assigned interaction roles to manipulate information in the workbooks, but no-one else can publish work.  This was an easy decision as currently I am the only person who knows how to use Tableau in any level of detail.  I am lobbying for UAA to adopt it and talks are ongoing.  If they did adopt its use System-wide then they would look at the unlimited license model.  This could then fundamentally change the way we use it now - this is yet to be decided.

M

• 6. Re: Tableau Server implementation and utilization
                    Nick Heigerick

Thank you for sharing that information Michela, we ran a pilot project for a year prior to the implementation of our own core license. During that time we did the same thing, only a few could publish content to server while the vast majority were give interaction roles.

• 7. Re: Tableau Server implementation and utilization
                      Kyle Yetter

Nick,

Our school works very similarly to Kim's.  Departments that are interested in using Tableau are getting their own desktop license, and then OIT manages the Tableau Server implementation.  As different groups come online, OIT sets up a Server site for that department to manage dashboards and users for that group.  Generally speaking, those of us with desktop licenses are the site managers, and we publish our own dashboards/reports to our Server site.

Kyle

• 8. Re: Tableau Server implementation and utilization
                        kim.pham.0

Hi Nick,

Users with a business/functional need to access the reports must request it and approval by their supervisors must be obtained.  I am the System Server Admin, but I do grant Site Admin to a few key individuals who will then grant access to their respective projects, views and workbooks, etc. 

Prior to access to Tableau Server (or any of our reports), each user must obtain approval to access the *data* by the respective data stewards in each Division/Dept.  So if a Business Manager needs access to the financial data, they must first get security setup so that they have access to the appropriate funds and accounts and approval must be obtained from our Finance Division before they can do anything.

As for Publishers -- we only have a handful of publishers, less than 10.  These are the leads in each Div/Dept that will vet their developers' workbooks, etc.

It was recommended that we keep everything in one site -- easier to maintain and administer security.  With the available security options, I think one site is sufficient.  Our HR department hasn't started to use Tableau yet, but if they did, I would look closely at the possibility of a separate site just for HR.  I would prefer to keep it to one site and use other means of security to limit data access.

Cheers,

Kim

• 9. Re: Tableau Server implementation and utilization
                          Nick Heigerick

Kim,

Thank you for your response, we are considering a very similar approach. I think the big difference between our two institutions is that we are setting up a service offering around server. Meaning we are going to have a recharge model for access to server. I think that's great that each individual has to get permission from the appropriate data steward prior to access, I would like to do something similar at Emory. I'm curious, did your group already have the right relationships with the data stewards prior to bringing in Tableau or was that developed over time?

• 10. Re: Tableau Server implementation and utilization
                            Nick Heigerick

Kyle,

Thank you for replying back, do you have any time this week where we talk a little more about how your OIT offering Tableau Server to the larger enterprise?

• 11. Re: Tableau Server implementation and utilization
                              Nick Heigerick

Hey Kim,

I wanted to circle back and see if we could connect over the phone for a couple of minutes, please let me know if you have any time this week.

Best,

Nick Heigerick

• 12. Re: Tableau Server implementation and utilization
                                kim.pham.0

Hi Nick,

Sure.  I'm available the following -- all Pacific Daylight Time:

Tuesday, 10/6: 11am - 1pm or 2:30 - 4:30 pm

Thursday, 10/8 10am - 12pm

Just let me know which matches your availability.

Cheers,

Kim

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 6:40 AM, Nick Heigerick <

• 13. Re: Tableau Server implementation and utilization
                                  Nick Heigerick

Hi Kim,

Thank you for the quick response, if you are still available at 11am PDT today that works great for me.

Here is my work email: nick.heigerick@emory.edu

If you send me an email with your information I will send you a meeting invite.

Best,

Nick H.