2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2015 8:35 AM by Tamas Foldi

API to create and fetch folder structure/Workbooks

Kiran Anumalla

Hi,

I am new in integrating Tableau reports in Web Application. I have been following Tableau Javascript API tutorials.

http://onlinehelp.tableausoftware.com/current/server/en-us/help.htm#js_api_ref.htm#API_Reference

My requirement is to Create Folder/ Delete Folder/ Move Folder. Also, does it provide API's to retrieve the list of projects \ workbooks \ views for a specific user using the tableau  API. . Are these possible?

• 1. Re: API to create and fetch folder structure/Workbooks
          Shabeer Sheffa

Hi Kiran,

Its is possible to do what you have mentioned. But you have to look into Tableau Server REST API. There is a difference in what is possible between the Tableau JavaScript API and the Tableau Server REST API

With Tableau's JavaScript API you can integrate Tableau visualizations into your own web applications. The API lets you tightly control your users' interactions and combine functionality that otherwise couldn't be combined.
          With the Tableau Server REST API you can manage and change Tableau Server resources programmatically, via HTTP. The API gives you simple access to the functionality behind the data sources, projects, workbooks, site users, and sites on a Tableau server. You can use this access to create your own custom applications or to script interactions with Tableau Server resources.

Hope it helps.

• 2. Re: API to create and fetch folder structure/Workbooks
            Tamas Foldi

Practically you should use Tableau JS API to control the visualizations on client side while the REST API helps you to interact with server objects. Typical workflow is:

From your web application:

• Get a trusted ticket for your user
            • Open a visualizations using trusted tickets if required
            • If you need to interact with server like show the list of workbooks in your web app:
              • You can connect to the underlying tableau repository database - this is fast and easy
              • Log on with impersonalized REST API (you can log on as your client user) and execute REST calls

Hope this helps