4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2015 7:54 AM by Ziyad Latib

Server Project Descriptions

Ziyad Latib

We are in the beginning of our enterprise Tableau deployment and I want to ask the community if there are any best practices for the Project Descriptions in Tableau Server?

I am looking for timeless descriptions for these projects that will require little to no maintenance as we build out our reporting portal.

What should be included? What should be left out? How to use it as a tool to promote the use of the package of reports.

Thanks for any help!

• 1. Re: Server Project Descriptions
          Toby Erkson

We have a brief description of the Project from the Project Leader as well as the person's full name of who requested it, which is normally the Project Manager.

• 2. Re: Server Project Descriptions
            Jeff Strauss

it's a really good question, the only guidance that I can offer is to have the projects align to your subjects so that they make sense to your consumers, involve them.  Not too few and not too many.  Our VP that has a big picture of the org actually took the initiative to properly designate the project breakouts.  It's still not perfect, but it does help people find what they need.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Server Project Descriptions
              Matt Coles

We do the same--list the primary and backup Project Leaders, and use the formatting syntax to make their names mailto hyperlinks so that contacting them is easy. We have also tried adding permissions info in there, but wouldn't recommend it as it changes too frequently. We also have "Sandbox" and "Archive" project concepts, so we'll add info on what that means to the description as well, e.g. "Space for testing Sales content prior to publishing to the Sales project" or "Project for retired Sales content".

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Server Project Descriptions
                Ziyad Latib

These are all really good suggestions. Keep them coming!