This content has been marked as final. Show 2 replies
Thanks for sharing!
Thank you for sharing. I think it's important to remain neutral and allow the numbers & user to come to a consensus, however there are one or two suggestions I have:
- I feel the 2,244 number needs to be made much larger. When I first began looking at your great viz, I thought to myself "How many people lost their lives in those 100 days?" I think you could make the 2,244 "leap off the page" a little more.
- Most of us in the US were fairly familiar with the Sandyhook tragedy... but perhaps going into brief detail (mentioning that the lives 27 people-- mostly school children-- were lost, as well as the perpetrator) will put additional emphasis on the numbers. You could do this with a Tooltip or even a URL jump to the Wikipedia article. Some might contend this is leading the user with a personal opinion-- you can be the judge of that.
- I'd like to see the number of deaths/state for the same time last year, at least in a Tooltip. While these numbers strike me as far, far too high, I think it's fair to ask "how has the shock of this tragedy affected gun violence, if at all?"
- And since I'm a stickler for little details that few other people would notice: I would re-sort your red bars by state, by day, and by most to fewest deaths. Alternatively, maybe add a slight border to them? This will surely sound grim, but it's... interesting... to see the large groups of gun deaths (e.g. Chicago, Jan 1, 2013).
- You might consider adding a highlighting dashboard action linking bars and cities... so when I click on Jan 1, 2013, Chicago IL, I can see that Chicago has witnessed A LOT of gun violence. This would also let me click on a city and see if there were patterns. Naturally, this might just detract from the great viz you already have... but food for thought.
Thank you for sharing!