9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2017 10:36 AM by priti.shah.0

Do you have a Tableau mentor?

Erin Stevens

Love this article about the importance of finding a mentor.

http://www.geekwire.com/2015/seattle-women-tech-leaders-on-landing-your-dream-gig-and-why-you-should-get-a-mentor/

Would love to hear from others. When you started to use Tableau, did you have a mentor helping you on that journey?

• 1. Re: Do you have a Tableau mentor?
          Emma Whyte

Hi Erin,

I think it's great to have a mentor. When I started my Tableau journey I didn't have a mentor as such, but I did take inspiration from all the great people in the Tableau community who offered help and support as I was learning to use Tableau. When I was lucky enough to join The Information Lab (a Tableau partner in the UK) and become a Tableau Consultant I then starting working alongside a Zen master (Craig Bloodworth) and some really talented individuals. They have all been my mentors in one way or another.

Now I mentor a student at our Data School in London, so all the skills I've learnt with Tableau and being a Consultant in general I can pass on. Plus I can pick up a new perspective on Tableau which is always great!

Mentoring is a great thing, but we don't have to have a strict mentor program in a sense - we can gain insight and support form the Tableau community in so many ways.

• 2. Re: Do you have a Tableau mentor?
            Erin Gengo

Agree, Emma Whyte I have many different mentors who serve me in different capacities. So while I really only have one person who knows that I consider her a mentor formally, I have lots of other mentors who are probably unaware that I consider them as such!

• 3. Re: Do you have a Tableau mentor?
              Cathy Bridges

I didn't have a mentor when I started using Tableau. The community forums were my "teachers", and I quickly discovered who the most reliable "trainers" were...those now recognized as Jedi. That's one of the things I love about Tableau's culture. Everyone is so open to helping everyone else and freely sharing their expertise. Now I'm finding mentors on Twitter. I created a profile specifically for following Tableau wizards (and to keep on top of things during the conference), and have expanded that network by following people who others are following, or who are often re-tweeted. So I guess my mentors are Google search and Twitter!

• 4. Re: Do you have a Tableau mentor?
                emily.kund

Hey there! I love the whole mentoring concept. I didn't have a mentor...it was really through social media (primarily twitter) where I met some folks and started reading blogposts from Matt Francis, Andy Cotgreave, Kelly Martin, and Anya A'Hearn, Jonathan Drummey, and Andy Kriebel. I;ve been able to ask these folks for advice and feedback on vizzes, which has been tremendous, especially as a non-data person.  At work (not data viz related), I've found my best mentoring comes from informal mentors who I've made a genuine connection with. 

• 5. Re: Do you have a Tableau mentor?
                  Kevin Kesuma

Hello Everyone,

My name is Kevin and I am relatively new to Tableau. I am looking for a mentor who can help me on my tableau Journey. Could someone show me where can I find a mentor for Tableau?

Cheers,

Kev

• 6. Re: Do you have a Tableau mentor?
                    Cathy Bridges

Hi Kevin,

If you have a Tableau User Group in your area, that's a great way to find a mentor. If you don't have one, another good place to find a mentor is the annual Tableau Conference. If you're basically on your own in your workplace or your location, use the internet! A lot of the Tableau Zen Masters have blog sites and/or answer a LOT of questions in the Tableau forums. As I mentioned, I don't have a mentor, but just because of spending time online I ended up being "mentored" by ALL the Zen Masters and the best of the best!

• 7. Re: Do you have a Tableau mentor?
                      Laura Roderickz

I didn't realize how important it was to to have mentors until later in my 20s.

I was once a disconnected youth and had no one to look up to, it is especially hard being a latina woman. It wasn't until I started working at a nonprofit that I gained mentors, one which gave me the opportunity to discover my passion for data. Ever since then I've worked my way up as a data analyst. I am now in the process of learning Tableau and how I can apply to my current position. I'm hoping to meet some amazing women who can become my mentors at Tableau Conference in Las Vegas!

• 8. Re: Do you have a Tableau mentor?
                        Tiffany Parrett

I recently started using Tableau and I do not have a mentor. I use the community forums and my user group, as well as just plain old trial & error. I would love to have a mentor, but there's just no one available in my area.

• 9. Re: Do you have a Tableau mentor?
                          priti.shah.0

I recently started using Tableau and I do not have a mentor. I use the community forums and  user groups, as well as just plain old trial & error. I would love to have a mentor, but there's just no one available in my area. Thanks.