0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2015 4:52 PM by Russell Spangler

Cincinnati Tableau User Group Event #5 Recap

Russell Spangler

First I like to thank everyone for coming out to the event and would like to say thanks to 84.51º for hosting the event.

Below is a link to the introduction and presentation that I did for the event (I have a PDF version if anyone would like it).  I’m also providing a link to a Tableau public workbook that includes the pieces that I covered in the presentation.  The general highlights of my presentation was to focus on the basics (chart types, colors, fonts) and practice creating commonly used visualizations at a high level of execution.  You can leverage dual axis, transparency and the common pre-attentive attributes to help create focus on certain data points and provide more information on one worksheet/chart.

Slides: http://www.slideshare.net/RussellSpangler/cincinnati-tableau-user-group-event-5

Presentation: https://public.tableau.com/views/CincinnatiTableauEvent5/BarChart1?:embed=y&:display_count=yes&:showTabs=y

I’m still trying to put together a date, time, venue, and topics for the next event.  I’m hoping to have the event during the first or second week of October.  We are looking for topics, venue, and volunteers to talk about their Tableau experience (or anything related to Tableau, such as design on the data side, using other tools with Tableau, etc) for future events.

For the person that asked the question about the standard deviation, here is what I was trying to point out.  Most things in Tableau you can get the data to display a chart, the question is more about having the data or calculation created correctly.  I usually prefer to have the data have all the values I want to visualize, so something like moving average based on the previous 3 months, I would normally calculate that before I go into Tableau.  While you can create powerful calculations in Tableau, its very difficult for me to tell you the exact calculation you need unless I have a sample of the data and have some references to check if the calculation is performed correctly or not.

Anyways you might be able to use this (or you can use these options to map bands based on data points) to visualize what you want..

Inline image 1

You can also use the below options and use Band From/To to be the lower and upper boundaries, if you create a calculation to compute that you can drag it onto the detail mark and then it’ll appear in the Band From Value/Band To Value dropdowns, remove the fill for just lines.

Inline image 2