1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 7, 2015 7:10 AM by Toby Erkson

How to automatically refresh data from a live data connection?

Taylor Brockhoeft

Hey all, I'm trying to get my workbooks to update(on a webpage) their data based on the underlying data connection automatically so that end users can see the data as it's updated. I've been trying to figure it out for a day now but have made little progress. I should mention I'm using the latest version of Tableau Server, currently running on a local host instance. I have verified that I can update my data structure, and then click on the refresh symbol at the top of the view within Tableau Server, and see that data refresh instantly. However, I'm trying to get this to happen automatically.

I'm following this here: Create a Scheduled Extract Refresh Task

However, for #2 I can't see the option for extract refresh.

1. Select the check box for the data source or workbook you want to refresh, and then select Actions > Extract Refresh.

So, after that, I tired following this: http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/server/en-us/qs_refresh_extracts.html

The problem here is that I here for #3 I don't have the option in Tableau Desktop when I go to publish. I only have the option for authentication.

Can anyone help me out here?