Are you having the right authorization to publish the workbook, you might want to check that. Also are you able to publish new workbooks to the server using the same account?
After you open Tableau Desktop, Navigate to Server and then Sign-in. Once successfully signed in, try server -> Open workbook and select the workbook which you want to edit.
Try saving the workbook to see if you still have the same problem.
- Were different permissions later applied to the report from the Server or was the Owner changed to somebody else?
- Were your permissions changed (have your admin check to see if you can publish)?
- You first say that you published the workbook but then change to "we" when later trying to publish, so, was somebody else trying to publish (their login credentials)?
- You may want to "Sign out", wait about 15 seconds, then sign back in to publish.
Permissions were never changed. I didn't mean to switch to the we. I was working with my team here, which is why I slipped into 'we'. But it was all done on my computer, using my log in.
I have tried signing out, waiting, and signing back in, but no luck either way.
I cannot do this now, because we deleted the version of the workbook on the server. Our think at the time was that the version on the server might be inhibiting us publishing the updated workbook. Deleting it didn't help.
Check the datasources in your workbook are tidy. By that I mean are there any with a red "!" or blank?
I've seen similar happen a couple of times where a workbook is really messy with broken datasource. Closing the broken datasources fixed it for my users.
Not saying that's the issue but it sounds similar.
You probably need to contact Tableau Support on this and let us know how you got it fixed.
Make sure your Desktop and Server are the exact same version, that is, make sure Desktop is the same version as your Server. They say it shouldn't matter but I think I recall once (recently, like, during this year) where it did matter. If there is a difference between the versions then Desktop should be the lesser one e.g. if Server is 9.0.2 then Desktop should be 9.0.2 or lower, it should not be 9.0.3 or higher. Anyway, it's one less variable removed from the trouble-shooting equation.
1 of 1 people found this helpful
Good call, Paul. I had added a new data source and forgot about it before setting it up. I deleted the data source and I can publish again.
Also having the same issue. Checked the data, published one a few minutes ago. Goodness, this is hard work sometimes.....
This was the same case for me.
I had an incomplete data connection added to the workbook when trying to publish the workbook. The dialog box wouldn't show up.
Dropped the data connection and the problem went away.
Thank you so much for sharing the solution.