1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2015 8:28 AM by kettan Branched to a new discussion.

Tableau Reader limitation

Debasis Chatterjee

I have purchased single-user personal edition and I was checking to see how I can share results with my other colleagues (who do not have Tableau license). Saved my work as TWBX for this purpose.

For this reason, I am testing from another PC with Tableau Reader.

When I test with Reader, I can see the workbook (matrix presentation of counts from a Measure). But I cannot apply any filter to slice/dice my data.

So, I am wondering what is the use of this? This seems static. Or, am I missing anything?

I could as well export results as PDF and share with my colleagues.

• 1. Re: Tableau Reader limitation
          Mark Fraser

Hi Debasis

Just to assure you, that is odd behavior and doesn't sound right...

I have attached a copy of the Superstore trial data, I can open in Reader and use the filters, can you?

Where did I find it?

First open Reader

Right hand side you have a discover bar

Click Superstore - your web browser will open

Bottom Right - Download - Choose Tableau workbook

Assuming you have the workbook and its all working in Reader we now need to work out why your having problems...

You mention you saved your work as TWBX, how? if you 'saved as' and renamed the file extension .twbx that will be the problem

Instead open the original .twb file, go to File > Export Packaged Workbook

Once its done, try opening the new .twbx file in Reader, it should be fine

Cheers

Mark

• 2. Re: Tableau Reader limitation
            Toby Erkson

Filters/parameters have to be present in the workbook and made available (visibly present) within the worksheet and/or dashboard.  Users cannot create their own, they can only "play" with what you specifically give them.

• 3. Re: Tableau Reader limitation
              Mark Fraser

Thanks Toby, that's quite correct and useful additional information!!

• 4. Re: Tableau Reader limitation
                Debasis Chatterjee

Let me check this and I shall come back to you with my findings. Thank you

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 7:26 AM, Mark Fraser <

• 5. Re: Tableau Reader limitation
                  Debasis Chatterjee

Hi

1. Good thing that filters are visible from reader when I first open

filters from Tableau prior to exporting TWBX.

2. Is "View Data" (Underlying) option not available from reader?

Thanks

Debasis

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 7:52 AM, Mark Fraser <

• 6. Re: Tableau Reader limitation
                    Mark Fraser

Hi Debasis

1. Good thing that filters are visible from reader when I first open filters from Tableau prior to exporting TWBX.

That's good, at least the 'odd' behavior is explained.

View Data - I had never noticed (I don't use reader much) but no the option doesn't appear to be available in Reader. You can only view/ filter/ interact with what's already in the worksheet.

A way round it maybe to create an All Data worksheet, it may not look pretty but gives end users the data they need. (you're restricted to 16 columns - without workarounds Sometimes You Have to Break the Rules. Expanding Beyond 16 Columns without Header Concatenation | Tableau Software) at least they can export/ view the data.

Cheers

Mark

• 7. Re: Tableau Reader limitation
                      Debasis Chatterjee

Lack of "View data" seems like a major limitation in Tableau Reader.

Ex: I build a matrix showing sum(revenue) by keeping salespersons in row

and countries in column for an International company.

If someone wants to know more details about any cell value, "view data"

(underlying) explains that by showing contributing data.

Microsoft-Excel(Powerpivot in EXcl 2010) allows similar feature by doing

double-click on the cell.

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 12:57 AM, Mark Fraser <

• 8. Re: Tableau Reader limitation
                        Mark Fraser

Hi Debasis

Lack of "View data" seems like a major limitation in Tableau Reader.

You won't hear me disagreeing... but I can appreciate why Tableau have put limitations on their free products, they need to create clear differentiation, that doesn't mean its not annoying!!

I have just created this idea >> http://community.tableau.com/ideas/4960

Cheers

Mark

• 9. Re: Tableau Reader limitation
                          kettan

I can appreciate why Tableau have put limitations on their free products, they need to create clear differentiation, that doesn't mean its not annoying!!

I agree Tableau must put felt limitations on their free products to ensure that these don't compete with their $ products. I am afraid they also (have to?) limit functionality and effectiveness of $ products for the same reasons, such as ensure that customers cannot mass generate pdf files to non-license users. If customers pay $$$$$$ up-front for a core server license, they will actually get this (company wide) functionality. An  improved server license model for medium size companies  would make it possible for smaller companies to use core server.

It would be nice if Tableau added features for automating repetitive tasks such as  Tableau Scripting Engine,  but don't expect much to happen because of already mentioned reasons. If implemented, I wouldn't expect it to support automation of outputs (print, export, save as).

Ps. Currently, I am not a Tableau customer and therefore in no need of improvements.

• 10. Re: Tableau Reader limitation
                            Mark Fraser

Ps. Currently, I am not a Tableau customer and therefore in no need of improvements.

Which makes all the work you do in this forum and elsewhere all the more remarkable and why all Tableau users owe you (even just a little bit..)

Tableau's licensing model must work for them but I don't know how... it was advertised to me as being straight forward, where they saw ease, I saw - restriction. For example - 'Guest' mode is core license's hostage... unless you pay $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• 11. Re: Tableau Reader limitation
                              kettan

Tableau's licensing model must work for them but I don't know how... it was advertised to me as being straight forward, where they saw ease, I saw - restriction. For example - 'Guest' mode is core license's hostage... unless you pay $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Thanks for adding the "guest' mode feature as one which only is available in the core license.

I think a page listing differences between Named Server and Core Server would be helpful for (potential) customers.

A page explaining in easily understood words - that is, not license language for potential fights in court - would be helpful for those who want to be honest in their use of Tableau. This thread shares some hints and thus a good beginning:

How does Tableau define "user" exactly? Trying to make the pitch for Tableau at my organization.

In this regard, I am somewhat curious to hear if customers are allowed to use  AutoIt  and alike for automating repetitive tasks such as  Automate pdf generation using Tableau Desktop  for non-licensed users – I believe the answer is 'No'. See more forum talk about AutoIt  here.

Which makes all the work you do in this forum and elsewhere all the more remarkable and why all Tableau users owe you (even just a little bit..)

Thanks. I like to add that  not being a user of Tableau  also is a reason why I have slowed down my participation and am about to quit altogether.

• 12. Re: Tableau Reader limitation
                                Toby Erkson

kettan wrote:

Thanks. I like to add that  not being a user of Tableau  also is a reason why I have slowed down my participation and am about to quit altogether.

"Slowed down" being quite relative because you're still pretty active in my eyes

• 13. Re: Tableau Reader limitation
                                  Mark Fraser

and am about to quit altogether.

- please leave a way to keep in touch!!

• 14. Re: Tableau Reader limitation
                                    kettan

Done.

1 2 Previous Next