6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2015 6:55 AM by Peter Gilks

Tab Jolt - how to configure?

Peter Gilks

I'm trying to configure TabJolt for the first time. Unfortunately I can't decipher the Installation Guide to understand how to properly configure dataretriever.config and ServerTestConfig

What I'm struggling with is exactly what host names and user passwords to enter. I.e. My tableau Server? or where TabJolt is installed or the PostGres database?

Specifically what goes into the following places?

Any help appreciated,

thanks.

Peter

tabjolt1.PNG

tabjolt2.PNG

• 1. Re: Tab Jolt - how to configure?
          Jeff Strauss

here is info that I put together in my own internal user guide.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 10: Modify G:\tabjolt\config\ServerTestConfig.yaml.  do this on Cygwin by converting using /cygdrive and unix2dos and then dos2unix

hostUri: http://insights-tableauserver.xxx   (this is the internal facing URL for my users to get at the Tableau gateway)

serverName: 10.110.100.39  (I'm not sure if this matters, but I changed this to my IP for my Tableau internal gateway)

name: yyy (this the ID used to signin to the Tableau server gateway)

password: xxx (this the pwd used to signin to the Tableau server gateway)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 11: Modify G:\tabjolt\config\dataretriever.config.  do this on Cygwin by converting using /cygdrive and unix2dos and then dos2unix

<host name="ord-tbldev101"> 

<applicableCounterGroups>  

<applicableCounterGroup>machineStatus</applicableCounterGroup>

<applicableCounterGroup>tableauProcess</applicableCounterGroup>                                               

<applicableCounterGroup>vizqlserver</applicableCounterGroup>                                                        

<applicableCounterGroup>dataserver</applicableCounterGroup>                                                        

<applicableCounterGroup>vizportal</applicableCounterGroup>                                                                                             

</applicableCounterGroups>                                                                                                    

</host>                                                                                                                               

<host name="ord-tbldev102">                                                                                                                 

<applicableCounterGroups>                                                                                                      

<applicableCounterGroup>machineStatus</applicableCounterGroup>

<applicableCounterGroup>tableauProcess</applicableCounterGroup>                                               

<applicableCounterGroup>vizqlserver</applicableCounterGroup>                                                        

<applicableCounterGroup>dataserver</applicableCounterGroup>                                                        

<applicableCounterGroup>vizportal</applicableCounterGroup>                                                             

</applicableCounterGroups>                                                                    

</host>                               

• 2. Re: Tab Jolt - how to configure?
            Jeff Strauss

see this post for a copy of an older version of the guide that I posted.  Configuring tabjolt

• 3. Re: Tab Jolt - how to configure?
              Peter Gilks

Thanks Jeffrey.

To confirm, the username and password. There are two places to enter these. The first section has 'username' and 'password' and is by default set to readonly. The second occurrence is 'name' and 'password' and by default is blank. Do you know if we need to change the 'readonly' ones or fill in the blanks?

What really confuses me about this is the weird IP servername that's in there by default, and that the username and password are 'readonly' 'readonly'. The default password for the readonly user of the Tableau Server database is p@ssword http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/server/en-us/adminview_postgres_access.htm

I really wish the documentation for this was clear....

Peter

• 4. Re: Tab Jolt - how to configure?
                Jeff Strauss

yep.  Here is a bit more clarity.  The first part is a login to the internal PG repository so the servername IP should be where your repository lives at and leave the userid at readonly and the password at whatever you setup ahead of time using tabadmin dbpass tabadmin commands

Also, unless you have changed the port, leave the port at 8060

And localhost should be the login to your Tableau server gateway.

The second username and password is an admin login to your Tableau server gateway.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Tab Jolt - how to configure?
                  Peter Gilks

Thanks Jeffrey, that is much clearer. We still have some problems but they might be different issues. I'll let you know if we get it up and running.

• 6. Re: Tab Jolt - how to configure?
                    Peter Gilks

Thanks Jeffrey, this has now worked, we now have new problems, will start a new thread