7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2015 2:40 AM by Richard van Dijk

cubism.js?

David Lam

Can Tableau make visualizations like the ones made by cubism.js? Here's the link to what I'm talking about: https://square.github.io/cubism/, Cubism.js Demo

Here's a picture, if you don't feel like clicking on the above links:

Screenshot 2015-07-14 17.20.18.png

If not, how can I made a feature request?

• 1. Re: cubism.js?
          Prashant Sharma

Hi David,

I think these are area charts & we can create these area charts in Tableau but this is something realtime. According to Cubism.js it is changing according to each second or may be minute. So, I think we can achieve this by putting time difference filter from current time.

Warm Regards,

Prashant Sharma - India | LinkedIn

• 2. Re: cubism.js?
            Daniel Murray

Sparklines can be made in Tableau.. Check out my book, Tableau You Data! Chapter 7 has an example. You need to build a regular time series first, then edit the axis to make each row value range independent. Doing that will keep the largest row from overwhelming smaller values. If that doesn't work try adding a table valuation to emphasize change % change table across, then place your original value on detail in the marks card. I find that lines, bars, and area marks work well for these small charts. Once you get a plot that has visible movement, the you need to hid the axis labels and drag the rows up and the columns left to compress the size of the chart.

Sparklines are a little artsy to build but they aren't that difficult if you follow the steps described.

• 3. Re: cubism.js?
              Russell Christopher

Hey David -

So, yeah - you can probably create this in Tableau.

The real question is why are you creating this in the first place? (It's fair to say "cause my boss wants it"!) That info will give us more more to work with and will enable us to give you more information and advice.

Here's a viz that looks very similar to what you're showing us...I think. Again, not sure what question you're trying to answer, so it's hard to say for sure:

Employment Horizon Chart | Tableau Software
              • 4. Re: cubism.js?
                Hrvoje Gabelica

This is example with dummy data.

• 5. Re: cubism.js?
                  David Lam

> The real question is why are you creating this in the first place?

TBH, I don't have a specific use case in mind ATM, but I wanted to see if it was possible or not. I had no idea this style of graph was called a horizon graph, so your link is perfect. I did see there was a tutorial for horizon graphs on the Tableau site: http://www.tableau.com/learn/tutorials/on-demand/horizon-charts

If you make it through the entire video, you see there's a lot of manual calculations that have to be done to calculate the different "bands", and the efforts needed to produce this graph might make it prohibitively costly to make; would people benefit in having this type of chart available in Tableau?

• 6. Re: cubism.js?
                    David Lam

Hmm I have Tableau 8.2 on Mac and I can't open your solution; is there any way to see what you have? Thanks for putting that together!

• 7. Re: cubism.js?
                      Richard van Dijk

Extract the Solution.twbx with 7-zip (or Mac-equivalent) into a new folder. Edit the extracted Solution.twb in a text editor and adjust the following line from version 9.0 to 8.2.

<workbook source-platform='win' version='8.2' xmlns:user='http://www.tableausoftware.com/xml/user'>

Open the Solution.twbx* with 7-zip and replace the existing Solution.twb with the edited Solution.twb. Close 7-zip. Try to open the Solution.twbx. It works on Windows in Tableau 8.3, but you might need to adjust the Rows and Columns panes to see the full chart.

*The x in .twbx stands for packaged and is essentially a compressed file with workbook, images and data.