3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2015 2:30 PM by Tamas Foldi

Custom query in Tableau

Adam Nagy

Hello Tableau Community,

I'm interested in custom queries on data sources somehow in Tableau.

Typical use-case: I want to visualize a scatter plot in Tableau but later on I want to filter the data with some custom logic I have written.

Is there any way to do this?

I have made some research so far, and couldn't find a way, right now I'm trying the REST API, but it seems this is also a dead-end.

I don't care if it's Tableau Server/Online/Public/etc.., I just want to find a way to do this custom filtering.

Thanks,

Adam

• 1. Re: Custom query in Tableau
          Jonathan Drummey

The ways you can filter in Tableau are via:

- extract filters (applied when an extract is created/updated)

- data source filters (applied to every query, no direct end-user control via web interface except via a parameter)

- filters (fields on the Filters Shelf)

- quick filters (fields on the Filters Shelf that display selection widgets)

- parameters (which are tied to fields used as filters or data source filters)

- Filter Actions

- JavaScript API

- URL parameters

If your custom logic can be expressed as a Tableau calculated field or an R script then you can embed that inside Tableau and use the existing filters or quick filters. Otherwise you'd likely need to use the JS API.

Last I knew, the REST API is more about administering Tableau (publishing workbooks, setting up permissions, etc.) and not so much about interaction with a viz.

Jonathan

• 2. Re: Custom query in Tableau
            Adam Nagy

Hi Jonathan,

thank you for the expressive answer, that's what I call a informative answer!

But one more thing I don't see: how would you done the filtering I mentioned with the JavaScript API?

All I have learned about the JS API is I can use filters only as a, what you call, Tableau calculated field. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Adam

• 3. Re: Custom query in Tableau
              Tamas Foldi

Hello Adam,

To complete Jonathan's answer, you can also use R programming language to define calculated fields (=custom logic that you have written) and use it as a filter.

If you can give some details on your use case then we might be able to give you less generic answers