1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2017 12:11 AM by Deepak Bhanushali

Sheet selector - how to put sheets in same position?

Justin Duperre

Hi, I have a dashboard that uses the "sheet selection" parameter technique to display 2 different sheets based on the single selection of the parameter. Right now I have two vertical containers with 7 sheets each. I can't seem to place the sheets in the exact same position, which causes the sheets to slightly move as the user selects a different option. Without using the vertical container, i can place them in the exact same spots but i lose the tooltip functionality (since they are technically layered). I would like to use tooltip functionality and not have the sheets move so much as the user selects different options. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Sheet selector - how to put sheets in same position?
          Chris McClellan

Sorry, I don't have an answer for this one but I would love to know if someone has a solution.

• 2. Re: Sheet selector - how to put sheets in same position?
            Sankarmagesh Rajan

Hi Justin,

When we use the container then it must move one sheet and another, why because the sheets added one by one in container.

Try this workbook and tel is it ok for you.

Thanks

sankar

• 3. Re: Sheet selector - how to put sheets in same position?
              Justin Duperre

Sankar, thank you for your reply. The tab "Sheet Swap - Quick Filter"  is a good example of my problem. In your example you only have three selections so the displacement of the sheets as you select each one is not significant. If you continue to add three or four more sheets you will notice as you select different sheets the generated result follows where the sheet was placed in the container. Specifically, if you choose "Office Supplies" and then "Technology" you will notice "technology" is generated slightly to the right of where "Office Supplies" was shown. Like I mentioned, with only a few sheets it is barely noticeable but with 7 sheets, it's almost a quarter inch move on my 22" monitor (which would definitely be noticed in a presentation). There is no way to directly overlay sheets in a container and make the selected one the "front most"/ top layer so tooltips work?

Thanks

• 4. Re: Sheet selector - how to put sheets in same position?
                Justin Duperre

I just figured out an alternative solution. Instead of using multiple sheets, I am now using one sheet (for each type of chart/viz) and dynamically selecting the measures based on parameter value. It is much cleaner. I followed this KB article. There is no overlay problem since only one sheet is used. The problem may still exist if you want to use different chart types in the same position as i described in my previous post.

http://kb.tableau.com/articles/knowledgebase/parameterized-measure

• 5. Re: Sheet selector - how to put sheets in same position?
                  Joe Oppelt

Each sheet -- when not displayed -- still occupies about 9 points in the container.  That's why you see them moving around.

You can actually put two "buffer" sheets that grow/shrink at each end of the chain of swapped sheets so that they "push" the displayed sheet into the same coordinates.  In other words, if you have a vertical container and 5 swapped sheets, the bottom-most one will appear to be about 40 points or so below the top most one when each is respectively displayed.  But you can make your container larger at both the top and the bottom, and have buffer sheets at the top and the bottom, and when you are displaying the first data sheet, the top buffer sheet is expanded to its full size, and the bottom one is shrunk to its minimum size, and this would push the first data sheet down so that it appears in the same physical location as the bottom-most data sheet would.  And if the second data sheet is selected, the top buffer sheet shrinks a bit, and the bottom one grows a bit, and that pushes data sheet 2 (which already starts off 9 points below the top of sheet 1) into the same place as where sheet1 was previously pushed to.

The attached example is one I collected along the way.  It uses a clipboard to grab more/less data from a clipboard depending on which sheet was selected.  Sheets 22 and 23 are th buffer sheets.  The example demonstrates with 20 sheets, so you can see that it CAN work.

In my opinion, it's a tedious solution, but if you must address the shift, it works.

Now let me suggest something else.

When you overlay the sheets, yes you can position them perfectly, but you cannot "drill" through the upper sheets to one that is displayed below the others.  HOWEVER, if you place each one in its own container and then overlay the containers, you CAN drill through -- if the workbook is published.  This doesn't work in Desktop, but it sure does when published.  So for me, when the shift is a problem (such as when I have 12 sheets) I break it into smaller chunks of 4 and overlay the containers.  I still get small shifts, but they don't matter for my purposes.  Twelve WOULD be a problem.  Once I publish this, the users can drill through to the displayed sheet even in the 3rd overlayed container.  Tooltips.  Selects.  It all works, so the users don't know the difference.

If you cannot tolerate even the slightest shift, and if you will be publishing the workbook, then put each sheet in its own container, and overlay the containers.

• 6. Re: Sheet selector - how to put sheets in same position?
                    Justin Duperre

Thanks a lot Joe!! Great info!

• 7. Re: Sheet selector - how to put sheets in same position?
                      Sankarmagesh Rajan

Hi Joe,

Nice work, thanks for sharing this.

Thanks

sankar

• 8. Re: Sheet selector - how to put sheets in same position?
                        deepthi.v

Hi, I have a dashboard.I have 3 sheets(Map,Pie chart,Tree map)

I have a country parameter as sheet selector.Suppose in parameter, I select 'Afghanistan'  I want to display only map sheet.

Now if I select other parameter 'Bangladesh', in place of single map sheet I need to display all 3 sheets i.e map,Pie,Tree sheets.

Is it possible to overwrite 3 sheets with single sheet using sheet selector and viceversa.

• 9. Re: Sheet selector - how to put sheets in same position?
                          Joe Oppelt

Yes it is very possible.

But it's better to start a new thread for a new question than to add a new question to an answered and completed thread.

Watch the video on sheet selection linked here:

We made a video of Sheet Swapping and Legend/Filter Popping on a dashboard.

It shows how to use a parameter to control which sheet to display.

If you need soecific help on something, please start a new thread.

• 11. Re: Sheet selector - how to put sheets in same position?
                            Joe Oppelt

That works visually, but not interactively.

If you want tooltips on all three sheets, only the one at the top of the floating order will work.  Ditto, therefore, actions and other interactive requirements.

And I have found that when we publish CONTAINERS that overlay each other, tableau is able to "drill through" empty spaces in containers (so, therefore, when things are "popped" away, a sheet or parameter positioned below the container will be accessible), but tableau doesn't do that for sheets.  (I mentioned that in my July 2 post.)

I have hacked up stuff where extra "Push" and "Pull" sheets adjust swapped sheets in a precise position in the actual viewing "window" space where the displayed sheet is accessible, but it's horribly tedious.

Instead, in the few instances where the mini-offsets have been an issue, I pop each sheet out in separate overlapping containers instead of swapping the sheets, and I rely on the behavior when published so that the user still gets access to the displayed sheet.  (And I'm in big trouble when some future release closes this undocumented feature.)

• 12. Re: Sheet selector - how to put sheets in same position?
                              Alexander Mou

Joe, Thanks for the reply.

Could you provide or point to some example workbooks?

Thanks.

• 13. Re: Sheet selector - how to put sheets in same position?
                                Joe Oppelt

I talked about a lot of stuff in there.  What example do you want to see?  I'll see what I can do.

• 14. Re: Sheet selector - how to put sheets in same position?
                                  Alexander Mou

This one:

"And I have found that when we publish CONTAINERS that overlay each other, tableau is able to "drill through" empty spaces in containers (so, therefore, when things are "popped" away, a sheet or parameter positioned below the container will be accessible), but tableau doesn't do that for sheets.  (I mentioned that in my July 2 post.)"

Are you saying that you can see tooltips using overlapping containers?

I give it a try. Seems not working.

https://public.tableau.com/shared/GHMCC3YZH?:display_count=yes

1 2 Previous Next