2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2015 4:53 PM by Nichlas Severinsen

Tableau Server - Configure SSL

Nichlas Severinsen

Hi there!

We have an Amazon EC2 windows instance that runs a Tableau Server 9.0, works like a charm.

However, we'd like HTTPS, so my colleague got a .crt and generated a key with a password, then noticed Tableau can't use .crt with passwords and via this other thread: SSL removing password from key file I was able to remove the passord from the key file.

Then, I used the Tableau Server Configuration (GUI) to set the SSL files and check "Use SSL for server communication" - which worked.

But when trying to access the webgui - nothing. Connection Error.

I thought first maybe the traffic wasn't allowed in Amazon AWS, so I set to allow HTTPS from everywhere on inbound/outbound.

No difference.

Then I saw the default gateway setting in Tableau Server Configuration and tried setting it to 443, this failed however, resulting in an "The port configured for Gateway - port 443 - cannot be opened."-error. Similar to this: SSL port 80 forward to 443 worker0.gateway.port cannot be opened

I tried checking if any other programs were using port 443 with netstat, there weren't any.

I thought maybe Windows firewall blocked https, so I added rules for inbound/outbound tcp/udp on port 443.

Still nothing

I also tried the 3rd post in this thread: Tableau Server - SSL Problem

When I revert the server to start without SSL - it works perfectly.

Maybe Apache needs to be configured as well? I noticed Tableau has its own internal Apache webserver.

Any input appreciated!

Thanks.

- Nichlas