7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2015 9:16 AM by Yong-Bin Kim

Groups not showing list of names

Rebecca Kaye

Hello

I'm having problems with tableau admin on the tableau server. I've created a group and added some users to it (the group has also been assigned to multiple workbooks).

In the past, when you click on the 'group' it shows a list of the users assigned to that group. My problem is is that it no longer does this so my new groups show that 'x' number are assigned to it, but on clicking on the group, there are no names visible.

It's the same with old groups that DO have names listed. When you click on the group you see a list of existing names but any new additions aren't listed (even though the number assigned to that increases and you can see from the site users that said user has access).

I've attached some screen shots:

For 'productions publishers' - 6 users are shown (5 were assigned last year and I've just assigned another one now)

Untitled-1.png

But when you click on the group name, the 5 historic users are shown, but my new user is missing...

Untitled-2.png

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Becky

• 1. Re: Groups not showing list of names
          Toby Erkson

Are you in the correct Site?  If you have Groups that have the same name in other Sites then this would make sense because a Site is it's own "location" and Groups in one Site are not shared with Groups in a different Site.  I would recommend checking your other Sites and see if the people added are found there.

I'm in two Sites:

Here I'm in the "Manufacturing Information Systems" Site and I searched for a user who is not a member of this Site:

Make sure you are in the "All Users" section of the Admin panel if you do your search:

• 2. Re: Groups not showing list of names
            Rebecca Kaye

Hello

Thanks for this. It is the same site (users added and group) but I can see the users name (in the correct site users) when I add them. It's just when I add that site x user to a group within site x that even though from the 'site users' section i can see they've been added to group x, when I click on 'group x' there name doesn't appear (even though group x says it has one person assigned to them...

• 3. Re: Groups not showing list of names
              Toby Erkson

Huh, this is odd.  Are you a Site Administrator or a System Administrator in your Tableau Server?

I'm just wondering if it's a permission issue.  Just a wild guess.

• 4. Re: Groups not showing list of names
                Rebecca Kaye

System but I've someone who's a site administrator has tried too and we get the same results.

Can't figure it out at all and there doesn't seem to be anyone else with the same problem. I'm assuming when you create a new group and assign a user that you see that user listed when you select the group?

• 5. Re: Groups not showing list of names
                  Yong-Bin Kim

I experienced the same thing.  I added 4 users to the group and it clearly shows that there 4 users in the group (picture below)

group_screenshot.jpg

However, once I clicked on a group name to see members, I do not see any member in it (picture below).  And when I tried to publish the workbook to the server, the group name did not appear either.

group_mem_screenshot.jpg

I tried many times and no clue why it is happening.  BTW, my other groups are fine.  Only the groups I recently created have this problem.

Thanks.

• 6. Re: Groups not showing list of names
                    Toby Erkson

Have you tried rebuilding your Search Index?

Or restart the Server?

• 7. Re: Groups not showing list of names
                      Yong-Bin Kim

Toby,

Thanks for your reply.  I only have a 'Site' privilege as a user and not an actual administrator of a Tableau Server, so I do not have 'Activities' menu on my Maintenance page and cannot restart the server.  I did not used to have a group problem (adding users etc) before and have been managing groups OK until this problem happened.