1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 31, 2015 3:05 PM by Patrick A Van Der Hyde

One data source is input for other

Supreet Bhatia

Hi.

I am trying 2 work with 2 data sources. One is teradata and other is excel. Excel has customer ids's. I have to get a report from teradata based on those customer ids.

I have created a parameter and written a custom sql query for the same.

But I am not able to figure out how to make the changes automatic. ie, if  i modify the excel data, report should get refreshed automatically.

Right now, i have to close the tableau worksheet and reopen it and then load the data again in the parameter i created for importing data from excel.

Please help!

• 1. Re: One data source is input for other
          Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Hello Supreet Bhatia,

I came across this unanswered post and wanted to check on the current status.  Did you find a way to get the data source from Teradata to update as needed?  If the connection is live, I would expect the values to update dynamically however this sounds like a Teradata extract and if that is the case, then the extract will have to be refreshed.

Please provide the version of Tableau and Teradata driver in use. 

One other option I can think of is to utilize a view of the Excel data to act as a action filter to a view of the Teradata Data with the TeraData view empty until  customer id from Excel side is viewed.  This would eliminate the use of Custom SQL and likely work faster.

I hope this helps.

Patrick