11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2018 1:35 PM by arun.yadav

Workbook CPU Usage

Lazy Rambler

Hi,

Is there a way to find the Tableau Server CPU/RAM usage of a particular workbook ?

Like for example when a user opens up a report on the Tableau Server, is there a way to find out how much resources that report is consuming of the Tableau Server?

• 1. Re: Workbook CPU Usage
          Damien Lesage

Hi,

I don't think there are any way of doing that. At most TabJolt might help to estimate some numbers.

Damien.

• 2. Re: Workbook CPU Usage
            Toby Erkson

Define "resources".  Hard drive space?  CPU cycles?  RAM?  Backgrounders? etc.

• 3. Re: Workbook CPU Usage
              Lazy Rambler

How much % of the CPU the workbook is consuming, the RAM

This is basically just to know if a workbook can potentially take up a lot of CPU usage and inturn can slow down/affect the other reports.

• 4. Re: Workbook CPU Usage
                Mohmed Shaik

Hi,

I am getting grilled at my end for the same question -" to know if a workbook can potentially take up a lot of CPU usage".

Have you found answer to that. I started looking into tabmon, and am not sure if that will help me to answer to this question.

Pls let me know if you found answer to this

• 5. Re: Workbook CPU Usage
                  Toby Erkson

I'm going to say that this cannot be done unless the workbook is actually run.  There are just too many variables involved on the workbook side as well as the Server side.  Your best bet is to run on a QA machine with a performance recording and try to improve it from there.

It's like asking a doctor what the EXACT traits your second child is going to have and your first child hasn't even been born yet

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Workbook CPU Usage
                    Mohmed Shaik

Hi Toby,

Thanks for getting back on this. I conveyed, this is some thing very difficult to achieve regardless of the possibilities. But am really lost on keep on explaining this to others here. And then questions are raised of how tableau server and processes works for reasons behind not achieving it. I am tired of building all the reasons to say why is it not possible.

So am checking here if anyone has achieved it, and not to get disappointed later to find out.

And am not sure why Tableau is not making an effort to get in some Inbuilt views on

• CPU usage of tableau server.
                    • Ram usage of tableau server.
                    • RAM/CPU used when background runs.
                    • RAM/CPU used on heavily accessed dashboards, so on.
                    • 7. Re: Workbook CPU Usage
                      Toby Erkson

Mohmed Shaik wrote:

And am not sure why Tableau is not making an effort to get in some Inbuilt views on

• CPU usage of tableau server.
                      • Ram usage of tableau server.
                      • RAM/CPU used when background runs.
                      • RAM/CPU used on heavily accessed dashboards, so on.

Oh, you want TabMon for the above!  Introducing TabMon, a Cluster Monitor for Tableau Server

Search for TabMon to find more:

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Workbook CPU Usage
                        Mohmed Shaik

Hay,

I have tabmon installed and working on understanding CPU and RAM. But that doesn't still answer on CPU and RAM spikes related to which specific dashboards or how users, applications, and concurrency are impacting server CPU and RAM

• 9. Re: Workbook CPU Usage
                          John Abdo

Your question how to determine the CPU usage for a given workbook is a very good one, even essential if you manage Tableau Server in the Enterprise with core licensing.

Currently, there is only one way to find out how much CPU is being consumed by a given workbook, as it is very difficult to calculate these values. You need to correlate Tableau usage metadata (workbook, project, site and user names), Tableau event logs, and Windows CPU/Memory history.

We call this solution Palette Chargeback. You can try it yourself at in our live demo dashboard with real, but anonymized, usage data.

If you have any questions, you can contact me about how it all works.

Cheers,

John Abdo, CEO

john@palette-software.com

www.palette-software.com

Palette Chargeback - CPU Usage by Workbook.png

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Workbook CPU Usage
                            Niharika Agarwal

Is there any documentation or manual available on how to configure this with Tableau server, the video uploaded  at link Palette Software Blog Palette Shared Services: Chargeback Reporting and User Level Worker Allocation for Tableau Server …  is not working

• 11. Re: Workbook CPU Usage
                              arun.yadav

Hi John,

I have spent good numbers of hours to figure out a charge back model on a multi tenant enterprise scale server and because of organisational policies , never got a chance to explore your solution.

What I believe is to decide upon a charge back model , there are many factors / variables which have to be broken down in some categories like:-

Tools to capture data:-

• Tabmon
                              • Perfmon statistics

Hardware factors:-

• Server being hosted on physical box v/s virtual machine.
                              • Server core to socket ratio.
                              • Server hardware specs and grade
                              • Network bandwidth and speed

Other factors:-

• Timing of the workbook and extract refresh.
                              • If a extract refresh is happening during peak usage hours , charge back should be high. Because during peak hours , resources ( memory , cpu cycles) availability is scarce , so less number of resources resulting into higher usage price.  If such a policy can be implemented,  then probably we will see only serious and critical users coming forward and asking to get their work done during peak hours and paying a premium price. This will help in managing and reducing peak hour usage.

Once we have answers to these questions and there could be many more questions which our great community might add to this list , admin can come up with a charge back model.

Whatever the answers we are seeking from a charge back model ,lies inside the Tableau Server itself. It's just that we need a framework and extract the information from Host Machine and Tableau Server postgres and need to join them rightly.

I would request other admins to pitch in and enhance this information with their experience and observations.

Regards,

Arun