6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2018 8:09 AM by Ali Twaij

Why fields in dimension and measures are Grey?

Kevin Meng

our DB developer build a cube in Microsoft Analyis Service, I can access to this cube by Tableau successfully, but some fields display in Grey.

What does this mean? and Why they are grey?

When i put one grey fields in report, it showed equality number in column, seems work improperly.  i talked with developer, he told me the cube build correctly from his perspective. this is the screen snap, i use blue pen to circle grey fields.

Anyone can help on this?

Thank you so much in advance!

Kevin

grey fields.PNG

• 1. Re: Why fields in dimension and measures are Grey?
          kettan

Do you have an Unhide option when right-clicking?

If yes, the reason is likely that the fields have the metadata status of hidden and shown.

See  here  how hide + show colors fields grey.

If this is not the reason, I don't know what it is, but guess it is related to cubes of which I know nothing.

• 2. Re: Why fields in dimension and measures are Grey?
            Mark Fraser

oh Kettan

I read this earlier and rightly/ wrongly assumed its related to the cube data source... I wasn't sure enough to go down the hide/ unhide route... pleased someone did though, and hope its that!!!

• 3. Re: Why fields in dimension and measures are Grey?
              Kevin Meng

Hi Kettan,

I don't think the grey fields caused by hide, because they are grey when I open them and haven't create any reports. there is no unhide option in my tableau. please see this

nohide.png

Interesting thing is when  i clicked "hide all unused fields", then things like your GIF animation, all unused fields become grey.

I guess this maybe a minor defect/bug of Tableau, just like it cant display measures in category when working on Cube.

Cheers.

• 4. Re: Why fields in dimension and measures are Grey?
                kettan

I'm sorry to hear that it didn't help.

I just found this and hope it explains why some things are grey:

A grayed out dimension (tableau dimension) or measure means that the it is compatible with something that's already in the view (just as the warning hinted. Yes you should still be able to drag the grayed item, but it will display values that are not very useful.  Re: Measures and dimensions greyed out

Is every field/group black (not grey) when you add a new empty worksheet?

• 5. Re: Why fields in dimension and measures are Grey?

Hi Kettan,

Thank you so much!

I got same warning message when i moved mouse above the yellow exclamation mark in "Marks' tab. Honestly, I don't understand what the warning means, because looks the greyed fields work well now.

I created a new Tableau workbook, and monitor the fields change carefully. it seems this is a feature that Tableau can automatically analysis the relation between dimension and measures, when I drage a dimension to sheet, some measures become grey, seems these fields didn't build right relationship with this dimension.

Cheers.

Kevin

• 6. Re: Why fields in dimension and measures are Grey?
                    Ali Twaij

Hi I just had this issue too. And when i replaced datasource so that the copied groups are in an active datasource then the greying out went away and the other datasource had the fields greyed out. So it maybe that its greyed out in non active datasource.