6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2018 11:45 AM by Rachel Horne

Dynamically show/hide worksheets on dashboard - action filter

Santhosh Thadakamalla

Hi,

I think this topic has already discussed in this forum (Thanks to this forum for helping me to get an idea to create such kind of dashboards). But i am facing the issue for my requirement which i can explain below.

I have created two simple worksheets - sheet1 and sheet2. Using sheet1 as a source filter to sheet2 , when we select any row in sheet1 then sheet2 will get filtered and also sheet2 will hide if we not select any value in sheet1.

In this sheet1, "source ID" is a header. if we select "Source ID" then i dont want to see "sheet 2" to be populated (I need only rows to go for action filters). Is this possible?

I hope you understand my issue.

Thanks,

Santhosh Thadakamalla

• 1. Re: Dynamically show/hide worksheets on dashboard - action filter
          Sankarmagesh Rajan

Hi Santhosh,

Yes we can do this in tableau.

first create sheets and increase the header area.

Drag both sheets into dashboard and select floating object and drag blank object into header area of first sheet.

Set action filter with exclude all values option

see

Now if we select header then no data will change in sheet 2.

when we select any row in sheet1 then 2nd sheet data will display.

once we click outside report then 2nd sheet will hide.

I have attached workbook.

Thanks

sankar

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Dynamically show/hide worksheets on dashboard - action filter
            Santhosh Thadakamalla

Thanks Sankar for your help.

This will meet my requirement but sorting will not work out for those columns ... but still i can manage by creating multiple blank pages for each column.

Thanks again.

Santhosh

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Dynamically show/hide worksheets on dashboard - action filter
              Petya Dacheva

Hi,

I´m quite new in Tableau and I need some guru aproach. I used the Show/Hide approach for a Dynamic dashboard I designed, but I still can not get to the desired result, so I turn to you for some support.

I need to create a dynamic Dashboard that uses 3 reports but shows only 1. All three worksheets are Tree maps, each Tree map represents one level of 3-leveled hierarchy: Assembly/Class/Method.

With Actions (on Select) I´m filtering and showing the reports starting from the Assemblies. Basically - when I click on one Assembly, I show the tree map of its classes, and then, when I click on one of the classes - I show the Methods' for the respective class. If I creal out the selection, I keep only the basic (Assemblies) report. So, this is cool, but too much for the eye, Imagine 3 Tree maps with a lot of data. I´m looking for a solution where I show this drill down, but presenting only one Tree map, like substituting the viz with the second level, and then the third. For this, I need to filter and show/hide at the same time, but in the Dashboard I need to add all three worksheets (in different positions). And when I hide the parent sheet, the filtering/showing it´s not applied for the following level.

Have you done something like that? Do you think it´s possible in a Dashboard? Should I try out the drilling into a story?

Thanks and Regards,

• 4. Re: Dynamically show/hide worksheets on dashboard - action filter
                Sankarmagesh Rajan

Hi Petya,

Can you attach workbook.

Thanks

Sankarmagesh Rajan

Mob:+919894170397

BI, Aspire Systems (India) Pvt Ltd

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sankarmagesh-rajan-572423ab

• 5. Re: Dynamically show/hide worksheets on dashboard - action filter
                  Divya Sharma

Hi Sankar,

I have gone through your reply and the issue is somewhere similar to my problem as well.

I have replicated my problem using superstore data source.

I have a dashboard which has three sheets.

Sheet1 has a filter. Sheet 2 is dependent on sheet 1 and Sheet 3 is dependent on Sheet 2.

What i want to achieve is  , when user has not selected any value in filter that means if filter Sub-Category = All, i should not see Sheet 2 and Sheet 3.

When we select any Sub-category in this filter then Sheet 2 should show. And similarly if we select any row from Sheet 2 then Sheet 3 should be populated.

Workbook Attached. Please advise on this.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Dynamically show/hide worksheets on dashboard - action filter
                    Rachel Horne

I have a similar problem.  I have two metrics that are in separate worksheets that show a range of values.  I have comments relating to each of the metrics and a set of filters that apply to all three worksheets.  So I would like the two sheets of metrics to be static and the comments to only appear when a specific field is selected for an individual rather than display for all of the individuals. 

While I have not found a way to create actions based on filter selections in a dashboard, I did come across this short video that explains how you can use parameters to limit the display for the viewer: Custom Tableau Workshops - Dynamically Show and Hide Sheets - YouTube

Hope it helps!