1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 23, 2015 12:35 PM by diego.medrano

    Summary count not an accurate summary of underlying records

    Brian Chung

      On one sheet, I have successfully created a chart showing the "number of records" measure split by an attribute of the table. When I hit "view data", it shows me a number of underlying records equal to the number given in the chart. This is good.

       

      On another sheet, I have set up what appears to be a chart of identical format, splitting the "number of records" measure by another attribute (country code). Now I get bizarrely low numbers in the chart and in the "view data" summary, but when I click through to the "underlying" tab, it shows me the correct number of records. This is confusing.

       

      More confusing: when I split by a second field on the table, the counts magically fix themselves.

       

      I would expect the summary "number of records" to be the sum of the underlying "number of records", but it isn't.

       

      Error modes it isn't, as far as I can tell:

      The summary count giving me a count of the distinct number of number of records;

      The summary count giving me a distinct count of some other field

       

      Anyone know what's going on? This was meant to be the simple case.

       

      Using Tableau 9.01, querying MarkLogic 7 (which may well be the culprit here)

        • 1. Re: Summary count not an accurate summary of underlying records

          I noticed that your question has gone unanswered for a few weeks which can occur for a few reasons. Generally, questions that are thorough, clear, and contain screenshots/packaged workbooks are the most likely to receive responses. Keep in mind that sometimes even great questions fall through the cracks. If you are still experiencing the same issue, I recommend re-commenting on the post with more information or contacting  support@tableau.com.

           

          Thanks,

           

          -Diego                      

           

          P.S. If you have found a solution to the issue, feel free to post it as a response to the thread. You may end up helping another user with the same issue.