8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2018 3:35 AM by Paulo Dantas

Completely remove Tableau 8.2.0 64-bit

Ed Armstrong

I need to completely remove Tableau 8.2.0 (8200.14.0617.1504) from a Windows 2012 server.  I have used various removal tools but done seem to be able to completely remove the application and settings.

Does anybody know how to completely remove Tableau 8.2.0 so that after re-installation you need to create a new administration account, configure ports, etc?

• 1. Re: Completely remove Tableau 8.2.0 64-bit
          Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Hello Ed Armstrong,

Did step 2 not on this KB not achieve the desired result?  - Uninstalling Tableau Server | Tableau Software

I moved this thread to the Tableau Server Administration forum section where it is more likely to be addressed. 

If you have any other information on the goal of the question, it might help.  Are you trying to modify a setting of an original installation and not finding it possible unless you completely reinstall?

Port selection, as I recall, does occur on re-installation each time server is installed.

Patrick

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Completely remove Tableau 8.2.0 64-bit
            Jeff D

Hi Ed, in the link that Patrick sent, note that there are *two* directories mentioned in the second step.  You need to remove the ProgramData directory, otherwise your previous configuration will be retained.

• 3. Re: Completely remove Tableau 8.2.0 64-bit
              Ed Armstrong

Thanks for the help guys.

I removed the C:\Program Files\Tableau Server and C:\ProgramData\Tableau folders but I also found some Tableau files in the C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet folder.  Do you know what Tableau places into the C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet folder?

• 4. Re: Completely remove Tableau 8.2.0 64-bit
                Jeff D

That would be licensing stuff.  I call it "stuff" because I don't know anything about it.  Try just ignoring it and see what happens.

• 5. Re: Completely remove Tableau 8.2.0 64-bit
                  Sam Bruce

If you find yourself having problems reinstalling or installing a different licensing model you'll need to remove the files in the FLEXnet folder.  I've been trying to change my install from Core to Named licenses and the only way it worked was after deleting those files,  Until I did that, the server kept thinking I had core licenses in place.

• 6. Re: Completely remove Tableau 8.2.0 64-bit
                    Rick Kunkel

Something to be aware of:  Flexnet is a piece of licensing software that other products may use as well.  Removing Flexnet could conceivably break other products.  Alas, I am not sure what other products might use Flexnet, although I've heard tell that Adobe does/has.

Flexnet should be automatically uninstalled when you remove the last product that needs it.  For instance, if you have four different versions of Desktop installed, Flexnet will not be uninstalled until the last one is removed (assuming that Tableau Desktop is the only product you have that uses Flexnet).  That being said, I have seen states where Flexnet isn't removed because the information about what's installed isn't correct, and the uninstaller thinks that there is a still product installed that requires it.

Honestly, unless there's a reason to suspect it being a problem, I would leave the Flexnet folders in place.

There are also (I believe) some registry entries retained for future installations.

But as far as the original question goes, removing everything from "C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server" (or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Tableau\Tableau Server") and "C:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server" after you uninstall should do the trick.  If you've installed to a non-default location (like "D:\Tableau"), that's the only directory you have to remove after uninstallation.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Completely remove Tableau 8.2.0 64-bit
                      Sam Bruce

Thanks Rick.  For me removing the entries in Flexnet, not the folder, explicitly named Tableau did the trick.  Once removed, I installed the software and it was like new.  I was even prompted for a Trial License.  Perhaps it was just coincidence but none-the-less I was able to install my named license keys.  Until doing that, i couldn't shake the Core license issue.

• 8. Re: Completely remove Tableau 8.2.0 64-bit
                        Paulo Dantas

Another thing is clear the registry from windows.

Best regards.