4 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2015 3:02 AM by Stuart Barrett

TableauException - unable to establish an impersonated database connection

Stuart Barrett

Hi

Just published a workbook to our Tableau server and I'm seeing the following error when I view the reports on the server

An unexpected error occurred. If you continue to receive this error please contact your Tableau Server Administrator.

TableauException: Microsoft SQL Server was unable to establish an impersonated database connection. Unable to connect to the server "***". Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.

2015-05-17 15:03:02.895 (VVitpgppAG4AAA2I6U0AAAJW,0,1)

The reports run fine on my local machine and I have full windows authentication access to the two relevant underlying MS Sql Server databases. The reports use a master database for their data but this database should not be used to create new sql objects. The second db, which is the one that actually has the custom SQL views in question, is simply a pass-through db on the same instance. Does anyone know how to resolve the passing of credentials? Note that I am aware of a database trustworthy setting that could help but I'm led to believe that this is not an ideal solution as it is a potential security hole.

Thanks