1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2018 10:51 PM by Mahesh Balshetwar

Error with reports connected to Tableau Server data sources

kyle.vasatka

Good afternoon,

I am configuring Tableau Server in a very restricted environment and am experiencing some issues.  When users attempt to run a report on Tableau Server that is connected to a data source that is published to Tableau Server (not embedded within the workbook), they are receiving the following error:

"TableauException: Internet communication error: Couldn't connect to server (localhost).  Unable to connect to the server "localhost".  Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database."

When I go to Admin -> Data Connections and test the connection, I receive "Test connection succeeded".  Also, scheduled extract refreshes of these sources complete successfully without issue. 

There have been similar questions posted on the forums before but I have not seen a consensus on what can be done to resolve this issue or recommendations for a path to troubleshoot.

• 1. Re: Error with reports connected to Tableau Server data sources
          shawn harvick

I have run into this as well. Curious if anyone has some input.

• 2. Re: Error with reports connected to Tableau Server data sources
            Sunil Tikar

Hi Kyle,

it looks interesting , I would narrow down the possible cause by dividing this issue into parts.

1.  check if this is data source specific issue or the report specific , try to create a sample report over published data source (you can drag just 2 or 3  columns from your published data source to tableau desktop after connecting to it ) ,publish it to server and see if its working fine ,If not then its specific to data source else something bad in development of original report .

2.Try to refresh entire workbook instead of data source and see if anything can be figured out.

3. Also if possible install tableau desktop on server machine and try to reproduce the issue .

These troubleshooting steps may guide you at least where to spend time .

Thank you!

• 3. Re: Error with reports connected to Tableau Server data sources
              vikram bandarupalli

Kyle,

When you have a workbook based on a published data source, opening a workbook will access the data server component on the server.

The error indicates that the browser is not able to communicate to tableau server.

To answer this correctly have few questions for you,

- Is this happening for just one workbook?

- Is the user able to connect to tableau server from browser and navigate without errors?

- Are there any firewalls between the user location and the server?

- Is this happening just for workbooks based on published data sources?

Thanks,

Vic

• 4. Re: Error with reports connected to Tableau Server data sources
                kyle.vasatka

This is very much unsupported but I resolved this issue by editing the workgroup.yml file and replacing all instances of "localhost" with the alias of the server (with the exception of the solr host setting).

The issue I was having was not specific to a particular data source or workbook, it was systemic.

Is anyone aware of a "Tableau supported" solution that gets me to the same end result?  Perhaps I could have done a "tabadmin set" instead of modifying the file directly.

• 5. Re: Error with reports connected to Tableau Server data sources
                  Toby Erkson

Data sources should point explicitly to the location, never a "local host".

What version of Server?

Messing with the "workgroup.yml" is not supported.  If you had to modify it for every instance of "localhost" then I think something is wrong with the whole Server install.

• 6. Re: Error with reports connected to Tableau Server data sources
                    kyle.vasatka

The data sources themselves were configured correctly but once they were published to the server those connections were not being routed properly.  It was sending everything through "localhost".

The server installation is 8.3.5.  As I mentioned in my initial post, the environment is very, very restricted.  The server can't really connect to anything that isn't explicitly allowed by the firewall rules.

My assumption is that "localhost" in the workgroup.yml was not being routed but the server alias is resolving correctly.  I guess the firewall isn't routing 127.0.0.1 anywhere.

• 7. Re: Error with reports connected to Tableau Server data sources
                      venu gopal

Hi Kyle,

I gone throuth with above "Error with reports connected to Tableau Server data sources" it look's interesting.the Problem is mainly using "localhost" instead server IP  .

When tableau desktop and tableau server is located at same machine then when you are publishing Report and when Checking the report buy using web browser  with "localhost\Project\Default\Sales_report." then it will works fine.

But when you are sending URL to Client you have send URL the exhaust IP then it will works fine.

EX:192.16.2.12:8000\Project\Default\Sales_report.

• 8. Re: Error with reports connected to Tableau Server data sources
                        Calvin Chaney

Hi Everyone,

There is a known issue currently under investigation by our development team in Tableau Server 9.0 that is the likely root cause for this behavior. This behavior occurs when:

• Address to connect to Tableau Server is not the hostname of the machine
                        • Tableau Server is not configured for a load balancer / proxy

Fortunately, there is a workaround in the meantime:

1. Open a command prompt as an administrator and navigate to the Tableau Server bin folder, for example C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\9.0\bin
                        2. Run the following command:

tabadmin set gateway.public.host "<name>"

where <name> is the URL used to connect to Tableau Server, for example, analytics.tableauserver.com

If Tableau Server is configured for SSL (i.e. https://analytics.tableauserver.com), also run the following command:

tabadmin set gateway.public.port 443

1. Apply the configuration changes, and restart Tableau Server by running the following commands:

tabadmin config

tabadmin restart

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Error with reports connected to Tableau Server data sources
                          Xiaoyan Ma

Hi, Calvin:

I am running into the same issue when connecting to tableau server data source and running the commands you suggested didn't fix the problem.  Do you know if this known issue is fixed with 9.1?

Thanks.

• 10. Re: Error with reports connected to Tableau Server data sources
                            Calvin Chaney

Hi Xiaoyan,

Do you happen to be using a proxy or load balancer? If so, are the X-FORWARDED-FOR and X-FORWARDED-HOST headers enabled? See Add a Load Balancer for more info.

If that does not resolve the issue, I encourage you to file a support ticket as our Support team is here to help.

Thanks

• 11. Re: Error with reports connected to Tableau Server data sources
                              Xiaoyan Ma

Hi, Calvin:

Thank you for your reply.  No, our tableau servers are not behind proxy or load balancer, only are behind firewalls.

I will go ahead open a support ticket.

Thank you.

Xiaoyan

• 12. Re: Error with reports connected to Tableau Server data sources
                                YONGMING ZHOU

Hi Xiaoyan,

I met the same issue. Have you resolved it, please?

Thanks and regards,

Yongming

• 13. Re: Error with reports connected to Tableau Server data sources
                                  Jeffrey Lutomski

We are having an issue that is very similiar.

What you wrote below, looks very promising.

Was anyone able to resolve this with this technique?

There is a known issue currently under investigation by our development team in Tableau Server 9.0 that is the likely root cause for this behavior. This behavior occurs when:

• Address to connect to Tableau Server is not the hostname of the machine
                                  • Tableau Server is not configured for a load balancer / proxy

class="smz-translated loading"

• Run the following command:

tabadmin set gateway.public.host "<name>"           where <name> is the URL used to connect to Tableau Server, for example, analytics.tableauserver.com
                                       If Tableau Server is configured for SSL (i.e. https://analytics.tableauserver.com), also run the following command:
                                                      tabadmin set gateway.public.port 443

1. Apply the configuration changes, and restart Tableau Server by running the following commands:

tabadmin config

tabadmin restart

• 14. Re: Error with reports connected to Tableau Server data sources
                                    Kevin Joyner

So we had this issue.   Even though we're using 10.1.

Once the settings are changed as per above...can the issue come back or are we good?

1 2 Previous Next