2 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2015 9:13 PM by Heather Roth

Adjusting top ranking features when flipping through measure parameter

Heather Roth

Hi Tableau-verse,

I am working on a dashboard and I am trying to flip through the top five ranked creatives based on a few different measures. I have a top 5 rank calculation in the filter that says INDEX() <= 5

When I have the measure on CTR, I get the top five ranked on CTR. It looks great until I use the parameter to select bounce rate in the parameter and it keeps the ranked CTR creatives, but applies the bounce rate measure to those creatives. I attached a couple of screenshots for reference.

Am I missing something in the parameter or index calculation? I'm hoping it's an easy answer because it would take awhile to scrub the data enough to load a workbook. Any initial thoughts?

Thanks!

Best,

Heather

• 1. Re: Adjusting top ranking features when flipping through measure parameter
          bill.cunningham

Heather,

Based on your screenshots, you are close but probably have sorts setup to reference the exact field (e.g. CTR) instead of the calculated field that returns a dynamic value based on the parameter selection.  I setup the attached workbook using sample data to demonstrate two different techniques that accomplish what you're looking for. 

The first tab uses a filter on the 'Top 5?' calculated field to only display results where it returns TRUE (similar to your current setup). 

CropperCapture[5].jpg

The second tab shows how you can accomplish this without needing the calculated field by using a 'Top' filter on the ID field.

CropperCapture[7].jpg

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Bill

• 2. Re: Adjusting top ranking features when flipping through measure parameter
            Heather Roth

Bill,

Thank you for such a quick response, this is very helpful

I did leave out one thing though - I actually have two parameter involved in this... one that lets you select a dimension, and another that lets you select a measure, so it is almost a cascading parameter ranking sort of situation.

For some reason, the top tab in the filter will let me select a top 5 on the dimension, but not the measure. So I tried your rank formula for the top 5, and it was not successful. The attached PDF walks you through my navigation of the parameters. Any other thoughts?

Thank you again!

Best,

Heather