14 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2015 5:42 PM by vishwanath Pendyala

Tableau Server 9.0: uncommon behavior of VizQL Servers

filipe.gatti

Hi. Yesterday the system administrator here in the company where I work did an upgrade from Tableau Server 8.2 to 9.0. He followed the instructions and guidelines available in Tableau's website.

Everything went fine and the upgrade was a success (also for Tableau Desktop), until the users started viewing their dashboards online.

Everyone started receiving INTERNAL ERROR messages non-stop, and the dashboards would re-load every 15 or 20 seconds. I've had this problem before and the re-load is usually caused by Tableau Server running out of resources and killing all sessions to prevent a crash. The INTERNAL ERROR also started appearing in Tableau Desktop.

Checking the server resources, we've seen that we have two VizQL Servers running (as it was suggested by Tableau in a prior support ticket), but one of them is completely idle while the other uses 100% of the processor and 100% of the available RAM - causing, as expected, the killing of all sessions and the internal errors.

The sys. admin opened a "Upgrade Assistance" ticket, but I think the community may know the answer for this one or at least we can share ideas with people having the same problem.

Thank you.