6 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2015 8:18 AM by John Liska

Tableau Server 9.0 install on Google Cloud

John Liska

I'm going through the process of installing Tableau Server 9.0. One of the minimum hardware requirements for Tableau Server 9.0 (64-bit) is that the machine has:

• 4 cores

I'm trying to do this install on Google Cloud, and the machine type that I am using is:

• n1-standard-4
      • 100GB of disk space
      • 4 vCPUs (virtual CPUs)
      • 15GB RAM

When I start the installer I get the following error:

-- Verification result: FAILED

Setup cannot continue because the system does not meet minimum requirements. Please make sure that the system meets the minimum recommended Tableau Server requirements: http://www.tableausoftware.com/products/server/specs

Reason:

Processor (cores): 2 (minimum required is 4)

Other resources found:

Memory: 15 GB

Available disk space: 50.48 GB

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter

Service Pack 1

So the Tableau Server 9.0 installer is reading this machine as having 2 cores, not 4, and is throwing the exception. (Fatal exception.) At this point my 2 options appear to be:

1. Downgrading to the 32-bit version of Tableau Server. (The 32-bit version is fine with just 2 cores.)
      2. Upgrading the machine type on Google Cloud to the 8 vCPU machine, which is more expensive per month.

Is there any other work-around that people know of to get Tableau Server to recognize this config as a valid 4 core machine?