1 Reply Latest reply on May 18, 2015 8:15 PM by Bill Lyons

How to create a network diagram using path equation

Dan Zehner

Hey there Tableauers! I'm hoping you can help me out with an issue I'm trying to wrap my brain around. I'm trying to map out a file structure for a system I'm designing in Excel that takes data from certain tabs in a file and sends it to others for calculations. The layout of my structure looks like this:

System overview.jpg

I'm trying to create a diagram that shows all the data transfers between these four files, and whether it's a macro, manual copy/paste, or direct link through a calculation. I'm using this as an example, but I'm falling a bit short:

| Tableau Public

Joe Mako, if you have any tips on how to get this to work, I'd appreciate it!

I've gotten most of the way there with a test between two nodes with a Macro that flows data from one to another, but when I enter my data as flowing from one node to another, I can't get the line between nodes to be a flow arrow from one node to another like in Joe's viz.

2015-04-23 14-00-57_Tableau - handoff-map.jpg

I'm also having trouble getting the nodes to be a different color than the line connecting them. Any idea on this would be great! If you have any questions feel free to ask, I'm sure I'm not explaining this very well. I've attached a .twbx and my data source file that I'm using.