2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2015 11:09 AM by Matt Lutton

REMINDER: Please List Tableau Desktop Version with All Questions (and other Recommendations for the Community)

Matt Lutton

Hello Community!

It has been a wonderful week with the release of Tableau 9.0, and I am confident we are all keeping busy.  As a helper/volunteer on this Forum, I just wanted to take a moment to ask that everyone try to remember to post your Tableau Desktop Version when asking questions on the Forums.  This makes it easier to help you, as helpers will no longer have to guess at what version you are using when replying to a post.  i imagine some folks have not yet updated to 9.0 (you should -- LOD calcs are the greatest!), and so it can be cumbersome to try and figure out what version those seeking help are using when they ask a question.

Also, a gentle reminder that posting a Packaged Workbook and a mockup of your expected results is ideal -- it is very difficult to diagnose a problem in Tableau without a workbook.  Most scenarios can be replicated with the Superstore Sales or Coffee Chain datasets that ship with Tableau -- if you can take the time to mock up a workbook, clearly describe the problem you are trying to solve, and provide the results you are hoping to achieve in a visual mockup, this will ensure you get the best possible help on the Forums.

And a final note -- please remember to thank those who are helping you, and/or mark their responses as either helpful or "correct" answers.  This helps keep the forums a thriving, polite community and it encourages those who can provide the best help to keep coming back in the future to try and solve problems.

To those answering questions, I would ask that you provide as much detail as possible in your responses.  One line answers are not usually sufficient for solving problems in Tableau, and it really helps others learn when you can provide details on WHY and/or HOW your solution solves the problem being posed.  Please, take the time to provide detailed responses, references/links for further learning, and especially your understanding of how something works -- this will not only help the user asking the question, but it will help YOU in your understanding of Tableau.  And the experts around here can help to clear up any confusion or misunderstandings that are sure to exist in such a complex piece of software.

That's all -- I did not intend to write this much, but I hope this post reaches someone and helps to keep our community thriving!

• 1. Re: REMINDER: Please List Tableau Desktop Version with All Questions (and other Recommendations for the Community)
          Sankarmagesh Rajan

Hi Matt Lutton

I agree your words here.

correct me if i am wrong.

first i ll tel about Tableau license. If i bought license with version of 8.1 or 8.2 then it will work in 8.3 also or in all version released in feature.

Why i am asking here is when we buy the license from client side they simply buy the license and installing. but they will not no that that key will use in newer version also.

I also installed 8.2 desktop and server 8.2 in my client machine. but they don't no if the version will work in all version or only 8.2.

So that all companies using same version only, they will not interested to install new version why because the cost of license.

till some companies using 8.1.

Please confirm this in forum.

2nd thing is correct or helpful answer.

when we help someone in forum,  we put our max effort here. so that the end user must update help or correct in discussion.

When they marked correct or help in discussion and they missed to add it works or not in reply then we will not ge

• 2. Re: REMINDER: Please List Tableau Desktop Version with All Questions (and other Recommendations for the Community)
            Matt Lutton

1) Yes, you can use the same product key to install newer versions -- there is no additional cost to upgrade that I am aware of.  Additionally, you can have as many version instances of Desktop installed as you like -- I have 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 and 9.0 currently installed.  Unfortunately, the default will be whatever is last installed (unless you modify this), and the icon is always the same.  Some folks have created context menus that allow for Opening with different versions, but this requires some coding outside of Tableau..

2) In terms of what will work with Server, see:

Desktop and Server Compatibility | Tableau Software

Some highlights from that article are below;

Workbook Compatibility after Upgrading Tableau Desktop

• Workbooks and extracts that are saved in a later version of Desktop are upgraded and cannot be opened by any earlier versions. Exception: A version 8.3 workbook can be opened in Desktop 8.2.
              For example, a version 8.0 workbook is upgraded when saved in Desktop 9.0. The workbook can no longer be opened by Desktop 8.0.
            • Workbooks and extracts that are opened but not saved in a later version of Desktop remain accessible by the earlier versions they were created with.
            • Workbooks created with the latest version of Desktop can connect to earlier versions of Server beginning with Server 8.0.
              For example, a workbook in Desktop 9.0 can connect to Tableau Server 8.2 or 8.3. However, a workbook in Desktop 8.1 cannot connect to Tableau Server 7.0.
            • Workbooks created in a later version of Tableau Desktop cannot be published to earlier versions of Tableau Server. Exception: Workbooks created with Desktop 8.3 can be published to Tableau Server 8.2.
              For example, workbooks created in Desktop 8.1 cannot be published to Tableau Server 8.0.
            • Workbooks and data sources downloaded from earlier versions of Tableau Server can be opened by the latest version of Desktop.

Workbook Compatibility after Upgrading Tableau Server

For Tableau Server 8.2, see Compatibility with Tableau Server 8.2.

Workbooks created with an earlier version of Desktop can be published to the latest version of Server within a version series. For example, a version 8.0 workbook can be published to Server 8.1.

Notes:

When publishing a workbook from an earlier version of Tableau Desktop to the latest version of Tableau Server, tabcmd utility must be up to date with the version of Tableau Server the workbook is being published to. For example, publishing a workbook created in Tableau Desktop 8.0 to Tableau Server 8.2 would require tabcmd from Tableau Server 8.2. For more information about how to install tabcmd, see tabcmd in the Tableau Server Help.

Workbooks created with an earlier version of Desktop have limitations when publishing to the latest version of Tableau Server outside of the version series.

For example, workbooks created with Desktop 6.0 and earlier cannot be published to the latest version of Server. But workbooks created with 6.1 and later can be published to the latest version of Server.