I'm a Server newbie myself...
As far as I know it relates to any additional 'sites' you create on Tableau Server.
The default on Server is to have a single default site, any additional sites you add yourself.
The -t simply says its not the default (if its default you don't need it) and then use the name you gave the site when you created it. It should also be in the URL of the link.
I assume you have seen these, but if not, they will help.
Any questions/ problems please write back
The URL used for Default does not specify a site.
For example, the URL for a view named Profits on a site named Sales is
The URL for this same view on the Default site would be
Thanks for your help Mark Fraser. After some more trial and error I figured it out. It as a bit confusing when site id in the DB is always a number, but the documentation refers to it as a name.
I am doing a query to the DB and grabbing groups and site information.
The sites.url_namespace contains the SITEID required for tabcmd.
I just finished the groups script and it is working well now. It gets any group created by the method of AD sync and stores the group name and url_namespace. It then loads them into an array and for each group tabcmd performs a syncgroup. This I can schedule to run as often as needed to keep all AD groups in sync.
I'm not sure if my posts helped, but glad you have it working now.
If your able, could you share your batch script?
It would be useful for myself, but also others in the future.
I sure will. It's a Powershell script.
I chose Powershell for the server administration because it's quite easy to use and understand. It plays very well with Windows, AD, DB connections, Exchange, SharePoint, etc, etc.
In the future I can take most of what I have already done in Powershell and convert it to real application using Visual Studio with very little effort.
When I get the script clean and fully "noted" I will post it to GitHub where my other scripts are.
One thing I recommend is using is "--timeout":
tabcmd syncgroup "ITFinanceUsers" --license interactor --no-complete --timeout 1800 >> %sLogPath%\%sLogName% 2>&1
I have a batch script that updates most of our AD-named Groups and for some reason the process will time-out some where along the way (it's not consistent) even though I've placed it at the login command. When it times-out you will be prompted for a Password: So taking a note from The specified item was not found. I put a --timeout command on every single "syncgroup" line and that solved the problem.
It would appear that the --timeout command is current-line specific and not encompassing as I would expect, even when used at the login command.
Thanks for the heads up, I've only run into the timeout issue so far when deleting users, but the timeout has become a "optional" parameter in my scripts when required.
Toby or anyone else. Can some one clarify if when running "tabcmd syncgroup" with --license does it change the license level for all users in the group or do those who are already in the group retain their existing license level.
I would test this myself, but I don't have access to make changes to AD groups.
Mark, I really don't know, good question!
What you could try is importing an AD group and use the --license command. Change the license level for everyone in the imported group and also delete a couple of the users. Perform the sync again but use a difference --license value. See if the people [re-]added have the new license level and see what the licensing is for the ones that already exist. This would be a valid test without the need to fiddle with AD stuff. Let us know your results.