Turnaround for Children, Inc. (Turnaround) is a rapidly-growing organization with a powerful and innovative approach for dramatic improvement of low-performing, high-poverty public schools. Turnaround has designed a targeted intervention to mitigate the stress of poverty on child development and learning. In each partner school, Turnaround creates a student support system that provides expedited access to quality mental health services for the highest-need students, trains teachers in strategies to build safe, supportive and productive classrooms and works with school leaders to execute a school improvement plan that leverages data, puts positive disciplinary practices in place and fosters a culture of high expectations. This allows every child to develop the social, emotional and academic skills to succeed in school and in life.
Over the past 13 years, Turnaround has grown from an idea to an organization with a $15.2 million budget and 60 employees. Currently, Turnaround partners with 15 schools in New York City, Newark, New Jersey and Washington, D.C., serving over 7,000 students and 700 teachers. Turnaround's central office is located in midtown Manhattan.
This position is based in New York City.
About the Position
The Data Analyst will play a primary role in establishing Turnaround as a first-class data shop by generating and clearly communicating data-driven insights about our program that, when implemented, will ultimately ensure that students receive the interventions that they need to thrive in school and in life. The Data Analyst will do this through asking the right questions and doing the right analyses for three streams of work: 1) high-impact pilot projects; 2) routine analyses; and 3) ad hoc requests.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Review existing data systems (including multiple SQL databases, Tableau, Excel and "Tracker" field data entry web app), recommend and implement priority improvements and accelerate the iterative design of Tableau tools for reporting and ad hoc analysis
- Establish a full set of data procedures and guidelines aligned to real practice, managed through the team's task management system (Asana)
- Work with field and program staff to understand school-based data needs and develop solutions to fulfill them
- Serve as lead analyst on at least one pilot project during the 2015-16 school year designed to test an idea with the potential for significant impact
- Identify and prioritize the critical questions around Turnaround's operations and/or impact, and design and execute a study to answer the questions
Required Skills and Experience
- Exceptional analytical skills with experience providing data analysis in a fast-paced, quality-critical environment, preferably to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Proven track record of asking the right questions to understand needs and develop effective solutions
- Strong and sustained attention to detail with a high bar for accuracy; calm under pressure
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Track record of establishing effective working relationships with colleagues at all levels and across teams
- One to three years of work experience
- Expert user skills with relational databases (e.g., SQL, Access, Salesforce); design experience preferred
- Knowledge of Tableau, R or other data visualization tools preferred
- Demonstrated interest or experience in K-12 education preferred
Compensation is competitive based on background and experience and includes excellent benefits. Turnaround for Children is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ***, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.