What do you mean by "...he/she gets the Database username and password"? Are those credentials displayed to the user or is the user asked to enter them in before they can edit the page?
I believe for web editing you also need to give end users "Download/Web Save As" permission, too.
If it's a live data source connection then end users need "View" and "Connect" permissions.
1 of 1 people found this helpful
Tableau system (web server) asks for DB username and DB password to insert. We need to hide this part to allow our users to do small changes in the report without inserting the username and password for HP Vertica Database. I will try to change the permissions for web edit and data source connection.
Alaa Yagoub Did you ever find a solution to this problem? This behavior of not saving database credentials for editing modes seems consistent with the Desktop version. This leads me to believe that the behavior is expected and that there is not a solution. This is a shame as I would also like my users to be able to make small modifications to a View without having to provide them a database password.
These are the steps in details:
1. Point to dataSource [Under Data]
2. Right click --> Choose publish to Server
3. Choose Embedded password in the "Publish Data Source to Tableau Server"
4. Go to Data in the menu and choose "Connect to Data"
5. Choose Tableau server [Under a server]
6. Choose the dataSource from the server [You already publish it in the step 3]
7. Right click on the new dataSource [Under data]
8. Choose Replace Data Source
9. Close the Old datasource
10. Go To Server --> Publish workbook