2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2016 7:24 AM by Julien Blégean

Filter list with name, Query with ID

Biyin Cai

Hi,

Currently, I have an action filter (with the list of ID-Name pairs) that allows me to jump from one dashboard to another with the filtering on both ID and Name; and I apply this filter to all worksheets on the second dashboard and I can change my filtering. I want the filter showing the list of names on the dimension (Let's say Employee name), and make sure the query to DB is sent using the ID (i.e. Employee ID).

The reason is performance. Tableau runs the query using both id and name for filtering with my current filter. I have huge DB, and filtering by name is not efficient.

This may be a simpple task, but I havent figured out how to do it, I appreciate your ideas.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Filter list with name, Query with ID
          Ambili Suresh

The possible solution I could think is aliasing the ids with employee name. But am not sure how you can do this since you have a huge DB. If you navigate to Data--><Select your Datasource>--> Edit Alias--> < Select col name in this case employee id>. Here you can alias the id with name and the names will be displayed in the filter, but the query will have the actual ID instead of names.

I am not sure how u will alias the huge number of emp id in tableau. May be can use a ruby scripting or something.

Thanks,

Ambili.

• 2. Re: Filter list with name, Query with ID
            Julien Blégean

Hi,

I have the same issue, and the previous answer does not help as I have too many values to create aliases manually.

Is there a new solution ?

Thanks in advance,

Julien