You could try port 587, other seem to have success with that
<add key=”smtpServer” value=”smtp.gmail.com”/>
<add key=”port” value=”587”/>
<add key=”useSSL” value = “True”/>
<add key=”username” value=”<redacted>@gmail.com”/>
<add key=”password” value=”<redacted>”/>
source: Automatic Email Alerts On Tableau Server Extract... | Tableau Love (search gmail)
another discussion here
Yesterday i tried with this port number also , but till now no email response not at came.
Could send me any screen shots for working email options with gmail.
This is the best guide I have seen and the author also uses Gmail
Make sure to tick the Enable email subscriptions!
and also restart the Server once amended!!
So, we need to tick all the below 3 check box right?
1) "send Email alerts for server health issues"
2) "enable email subscriptions"
3) "enable TLS"
Usually we need to tick only "email subscriptions", any way i will follow with your guidelines.
We can tick all the check box then only mail will go?
Some where, i have seen some body mentioned the below details: tls://smtp.gmail.com ,port 465
In SMTP place , i need to use " tls://smtp.gmail.com " (or) just " smtp.gmail.com "
Based on your valuable information , i will follow with the same : " smtp.gmail.com " , Port : 587
Can i proceed with these details.
Thanks a lot for your valuable support.
Personally I would tick all 3, but for your requirements definitely at least 2+3.
Once done, you will need to restart the server.
Try port 587 (with TLS ticked) first
if not, amend port, restart Server and retest
Hope it works, if not, please post back
It would help if there was a way to send a test email without configuring a subscription
The guide linked above was helpful but didn't explain how to enable authentication for 'less secure apps' which caused me some headaches, so I thought I'd document here in case it helps anyone.
A) If you do not have two factor authentication enabled, then you need to enabled "less secure apps":
2. Enabled less secure apps.
3. Enter details as in the guide above and tableau subscriptions should work as expected
B) If (like me) you have two factor authentication enabled, then you need to use an App Password.
2. Create an app password, give it a name, and copy the generated password to clipboard
3. In Tableau config settings, enter that as your password
4. Enable TLS, set port to 587 as in the guide above
Note: When I tried an app password the first time it didn't work although I'm not sure whether this is because I entered something incorrectly. To get it working I first disabled two-factor as in A) above and confirmed it worked, then re-enabled two factor and setup the app password as in B). If you can't get it working the first time I suggest you try this
Testing Tableau Subscriptions
I also was not able to find an documentation anywhere to explain how to test and troubleshoot Tableau subscriptions, so I found this out by trial and error and searching around:
Once you have configured SMTP settings, enabled less secure apps by one of the approaches above, and restarted the Tableau server, I tested by doing the following:
1. Login to Tableau using your Tableau admin account
2. Open any workbook and click 'Subscribe' in the top right of screen
3. Choose any schedule (timing does not matter)
4. Exit from the workbook and go to 'Schedules'
5. Choose the schedule that you created a subscription for in 3 above
6. Click 'Run Now' next to the schedule name.
7. If SMTP settings are setup correctly, you should receive an email containing the workbook image as expected
8. If not email is received, go to 'Status' then choose 'Background Tasks for Extracts'.
9. In the chart that opens up, under 'Task' select the item related to subscriptions (can't recall the exact name).
10. Any failed subscription sends should appear along with some error information to aid troubleshooting
i just have a question about smtp setup in 2018.3
do we have TLS in 2018.3? i cannot find it in tsm, but we have it in older version
sorry that i havent find the answer, have you get it to work? how do you set it up?