Thanks for your response - it is too large to be in the same workbook on different sheets. I have to use two different workbooks - any ideas of this?
Connect to both the excels as 2 different data sources and then go to edit relationships from the data menu and merge the data. Hopefully this should work.
If you create an extract of the first file, you can right click the datasource and select Extract>Append Data From File...
Select the workbook that isn't yet a part of the view and click open.
That ought to do it. If not, maybe the tabs in the workbooks need to have the same name.
Check whether the following approach will help you?
How can show the Data when data is located 3 different sheets in the single XL Workbook - Data AppendingHow can show the Data when data is located 3 different sheets in the single XL Workbook
Below are the XL sheets, where having data for 3 Countries in 3 Sheets.
1) All 3 Sheets are located in single XL Workbook.
2) Connect XL workbook (Sheet 1) to Tableau.
3) Then Extract the Data.
4) Connect to the Same XL workbook Sheet2.
5) Define the Relationship Between DB1 & DB2. Then Right click first DB Extract, click on "Append data from data source". Then refresh Extract
6) Now we are having data fro 3 Countries (Which are located in 3 XL sheets in 1 Workbook.)
Thank you! The data extract worked - but you do need the sheets in the separate workbooks to have identical names for anyone else who is interested!