2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2015 10:00 PM by Shashank Gaurav

How to attach tde files to a workbook(.twb) using c# .net?

Shashank Gaurav

Hi,

I'm a beginner to TDE API. I've created .tde files using C# wrapper as provided in an earlier post. However, I've to attach this tde file to a sample workbook (.twb) file programmatically in C# then refresh the TDE extract on Tableau server.

How to achieve this? Is there an Interop (as in MS applications Excel, Word etc) like dll made available from Tableau to explore/consume the features of twb files?

• 1. Re: How to attach tde files to a workbook(.twb) using c# .net?
          Russell Christopher

Hi Shashank -

There is no supported way to do this. That said, the description / design of a Tableau workbook (.twb) is nothing more than XML.

So, you could take a workbook which already has an attached TDE and "explore" the XML and see what all the elements and attributes look like.

Then, you could write C# to open up a different *.twb and inject the appropriate XML elements and attributes.

Again, while this approach works it is not supported and Tableau Support can't help you implement it or assist if things don't work afterwards. It's a strictly "do it yourself" type of project.

Just curious - why are you doing this in the first place?

Hope this helps a little.

• 2. Re: How to attach tde files to a workbook(.twb) using c# .net?
            Shashank Gaurav

Hi,

Thanks for prompt response.

I’ve a requirement from our client as the logic need to be implemented in this way. However, I’ll try exploring XML and hope for the best.

Thanks again for the help,

Regards

Shashank Gaurav