5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2015 5:28 AM by Mark Lake

pie chart

Angie Tarbet

Hi,

Any suggestions are appreciated even though pie charts are not popular!!

My data fields are already in SUM format FYI by quarter.

I'd like to have a pie chart that slices out the following three fields from the data field Hours Schd (Uses). This data field is a calculated field under measures which totals the three fields below):

Net adjust Hrs Q1

Schd Exam Hrs Q1

Schd Visits Hrs Q1

I got it started but am stuck with the actual slicing of the pie chart? I followed three different sets of instructions and am still having problems. I am hoping that it is just me and not a data problem. All fields are already SUM, for the most part in the working with thiese fields I use the ATTR to display correct number.

Again, your input is appreciated. Angie

sample attached.

• 1. Re: pie chart
          Mark Lake

Angie,

In order to create a Pie Chart, you need to have a dimension value to make the slices.  Right now you only have 1 measure that is an addition of 3 measures.  Tableau sees only one row of data and cannot slice it.  Even if you were to do this in Excel, you would need to create 3 rows for Excel to do the pie correctly.

Your situation is not uncommon.  Below is an article that describes how to prepare your data for use with Tableau.  I can tell from the column names you have that your data is in need to being reformatted.  It looks like you have a custom query that is driving this, so, you may be able to create one or more Tableau specific queries to get the data in a format that Tableau can more easily use.

In the interim, you could make a bar chart (I know you wanted a pie, but this is something you can do with the data as it is).  I attached a sample.

http://kb.tableau.com/articles/knowledgebase/preparing-excel-files-analysis

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: pie chart
            Bill Lyons

While I agree with Mark Lake that reshaping the data makes things much easier to do in Tableau, there are workarounds, using Measure Names/Measure Values. See attached.

I think you are overcomplicating it by doing all the summation manually. Let Tableau do the work.

bl

• 3. Re: pie chart
              Angie Tarbet

Awesome. Thanks for the workaround example. Angie

• 4. Re: pie chart
                Angie Tarbet

hanks Mark--the DB was created without Tableau in mind (if you can believe that). It has been a challenge creating many reports in Tableau, I will look more closely at re-shaping. Angie

• 5. Re: pie chart
                  Mark Lake

Very cool Bill!  I learned something new today too, it's a good day