5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2015 10:58 AM by Jonathan Drummey

Tableau Server: One view to all tabs?

Robin Coleman

Hello,

I have published a workbook to Tableau Server. This is the view of the workbook in TS.   It has two tabs.   I have "SHOW TABS" selected, so when I open January 2015, February 2015 is a tab that I can move to for navigation. 

What is the best way to have ONE view available so that when I open it, all tabs are available to navigate through?   I know that I can do this with a dashboard, but I don't need the full dashboard view. With so many bar charts, it looks muddled. Hopefully this makes sense.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2015-02-17 at 11.44.08 AM.png

• 1. Re: Tableau Server: One view to all tabs?
          Jonathan Drummey

Instead of using tabs, use a month Quick Filter on a single worksheet, or use a dashboard for more layout controls of your month filter & worksheet. It's very easy for users to not notice the tabs are there in all the chrome that surrounds the view, whereas the filters are visually closer to the data.

If you really want the users to see all tabs, they have to look at the workbook view like in your screenshot.

Jonathan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau Server: One view to all tabs?
            gaurav.fouzdar

For integrating both tabs into one view or Dashboard. How that can be done is you just create two separate sheets and while creating a Dashboard you just keep both the worksheet next to each other. You can also put the worksheets one below another that might help as well. Hope this helps.

• 3. Re: Tableau Server: One view to all tabs?
              Joe Oppelt

Will you have 5 of these in May, and 12 of these in December?  If so, consider what Jonathan suggested.  Give them a filter or parameter to select a month, and let your sheet do the work for the user.

• 4. Re: Tableau Server: One view to all tabs?
                Robin Coleman

Hi there,

Yes, I will have 5 in May, 12 in December, etc.  My client wants individual tabs for each month and not just a Quick Filter. (I know, I know. Quick filters are much cleaner.)

They don't much care for the view in TS showing the two worksheets.  It looks like there's no workaround for that exactly.

Thank you for all of your responses!

• 5. Re: Tableau Server: One view to all tabs?
                  Jonathan Drummey

There's another hybrid approach:

- One dashboard

- A "tabs" worksheet at the top of the dashboard that is short & wide that shows either a "tab" for each month or a small multiples display of multiple months.

- A "detail" worksheet that shows the detail data

- A Filter Action on Month that uses the tabs worksheet as an origin and the detail worksheet as the target. You can set up the Filter Action to hide the detail data when nothing is selected, show all data, etc.

Jonathan