3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2015 6:48 AM by Joe Oppelt

Stacked 100% Column Chart Not Adding Up?

Mathew Grimm

I'm sure I'm missing something simple and obvious here, but I can't seem to get my stacked column chart to add up to 100%.

I'm expecting 2014 data to be 25% for each segment in Sheet 2. 2015 to be a little different based on the attached excel file.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mathew

• 1. Re: Stacked 100% Column Chart Not Adding Up?
          Joe Oppelt

You are getting 83% for red, for example, in 2014 because the sum([Excellent]) for 2014 is 83% of the sum([Excellent]) across your whole table.  (83.3 + 16.7 = 100).

To the best of my knowledge, you can't expect Tableau to figure out % of total of multiple measures unless you tell it to do that.

Something like

SUM([Excellent]) / ( SUM([Excellent])+SUM([Average])+SUM([Better])+SUM([Worse]) )

... will get you the 25% you want for red for 2014.

Do that for each measure.  Select THOSE calc fields instead of making the quick table calcs you made.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Stacked 100% Column Chart Not Adding Up?
            Mathew Grimm

Thank you, Joe, especially for explaining how Tableau is thinking about things. Just curious...why wouldn't a "table down" calc work here, or one per time unit? Both seemed like they were options, they produced different results, but nothing expected.

• 3. Re: Stacked 100% Column Chart Not Adding Up?
              Joe Oppelt

TABLE(down) or TABLE(across) or "using YEAR" didn't matter, for the way you had it set up.  Tableau was looking only at one measure at a time.  One of those might have produced a result of 100% perhaps.

Half the fun of this product is getting into the mind of Tableau.