4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2015 9:14 AM by Rob Moerland

wgserver 500 Internal Server Error

Rob Moerland

After installing Tableau Server 8.3.1 on a new server it ends with

'Tableau Server Gateway' (9756) is stopped.

The tabadmin.log contains several lines

No response from http://localhost:8000/wg/auth/system_status: 500 Internal Server Error

Digging some more I found in wgserver-0.log

2015-01-20 13:46:17.071 +0100 fileUploadServiceScheduler-1   WARN  : org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.spi.SqlExceptionHelper - SQL Error: 0, SQLState: 42P01

2015-01-20 13:46:17.071 +0100 fileUploadServiceScheduler-1   ERROR : org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.spi.SqlExceptionHelper - ERROR: relation "file_uploads" does not exist

Position: 13

2015-01-20 13:46:17.071 +0100 fileUploadServiceScheduler-1   INFO  : com.tableausoftware.model.workgroup.service.FileUploadService - Exception while deleting expired file_upload records: org.hibernate.exception.SQLGrammarException: ERROR: relation "file_uploads" does not exist

Position: 13

2015-01-20 13:46:17.087 +0100 fileUploadServiceScheduler-1   ERROR : org.springframework.scheduling.support.TaskUtils$LoggingErrorHandler - Unexpected error occurred in scheduled task.

What else must I investigate to get wgserver running? Without it Tableau is not available.

• 1. Re: wgserver 500 Internal Server Error
          Toby Erkson

Did you install on in a custom location, not the default?  If so, is security on the folders correct (Properties >> Security tab).

Are there any other settings changes you've made that are not default?

Worst case scenario that I can think of is you uninstall Server, delete all directories and existence of Tableau (except for your backup files), and do a fresh install.

• 2. Re: wgserver 500 Internal Server Error
            Rob Moerland

Tableau Server is new to this machine. Therefor I have no backups to preserve. Tableau Desktop was installed several months before.

After each failed installation I removed the "Tableau Server" folder to be sure to have a fresh install.

The last time I tried I gave "Everyone - Full Control" to the "Tableau Server" folder before installation.

The installation is of the easy type: Enter, Enter, Enter, Finish. The only customizations are:
              Installation folder: D:\Site_Programs\Tableau Server
              User Authentication: Active Directory

Default ip-port stays 80. Open port in firewall. Do not include sample data.

Server Run As User: NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService

License Server says I still have a 13 days trial license.

• 3. Re: wgserver 500 Internal Server Error
              Toby Erkson

Good info, thanks.  We need this sort of detail.  I believe you need to use a valid Run As User account.  If you're just testing then using your own Active Directory (AD) account is fine.  Be sure to read the entire "Run As User" section.

• 4. Re: wgserver 500 Internal Server Error
                Rob Moerland

When I configured the services to use my Admin-account it started working and I could enter the final step: creating the first account.

My other Tableau Server runs in another Active Directory domain and has no problem using the default "NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService". I think the domain admins of the current domain restricted access to AD. I will request a service account and reconfigure TS.

Thanks for helping me out!!