3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2015 7:13 AM by Jagjit Singh

Trying to look at actual/budget over time (monthly) using bullet graphs

Jason Alexandre

I'm still relatively new to Tableau and trying to get my legs under me so I apologize in advance if this question is redundant or not well framed.  I'm working with two worksheets in a workbook.  One worksheet  contains monthly payment information by service provider and service.  Each row represents a payment to a provider, by a line of service.  The other worksheet contains the annualized budget by provider and service area.  I've also created a projected monthly cost per provider and service are based on a daily rate and the number of days in the month.

What I'm trying to do is develop a bullet graph visual to monitor budget vs. actual by service that will allow me to look at budget vs. actual on a monthly basis, as well as in a running aggregate (e.g. year to date) format.  I've contemplated using month of payment in the Page shelf to help with the clutter, but I can't figure out how to use the discrete budgeted values by month to compare with the actuals.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.  I've attached a month of sample data.

Thank you,

Jason