11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2017 6:38 AM by Hideki OGAWA

How do I link qualitative verbatims to a quantitative chart?

elyssia.clark

Very new to the forum and Tableau so reaching out for assistance! By way of background I’m truly grateful for a lot of the insights I’ve already gleaned from the forum – I’ve watched Susan Baier’s recent webinar, and have read several of Steve Wexler’s blog posts and publications.  Having been in the market research field for 19 years, I'm genuinely excited by the possibilities Tableau presents in survey data visualisation.

For simplicity I'll keep this quite high level for now.  I have a survey where I've asked an 11 pt satisfaction question, and then followed up with an open ended question along the lines of 'why do you say that'.  I have a couple of options with the open ended question - I've created code frames and coded the verbatims, but I also have the verbatims in raw form.

I’m trying to create a simple snapshot report that will be a dashboard showing a graph (ie: distribution of overall satisfaction on an 11 point likert scale) on the top half of the page, and then underneath the chart I’d like to show either a) a table of coded qualitative data which summarises reasons why people gave a specific satisfaction rating or b) actual verbatim comments.

More specifically, I want the reader to be able to click or highlight a bar in the satisfaction chart (ie: “dissatisfied”), and the bottom section of the dashboard then adjusts to either a) show the % distribution of reasons why people gave that rating (in a graph) or b) shows verbatims from those who gave that score .How do I create this connection?  Many thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: How do I link qualitative verbatims to a quantitative chart?
          Susan Baier

Hi Elyssia and welcome to the forum!

This is a great question and one I'd love to see the answer to myself. Maybe Steve Wexler, Michael Cristiani or another guru can weigh in here and help us.

• 2. Re: How do I link qualitative verbatims to a quantitative chart?
            Steve Wexler

Elyssia and Susan,

I can think of one way to do this but I'm not happy with the side effect.

Specifically, if you were to craft the first visualization and place all of the respondent IDs on the Level of Detail (LoD), when you select items from the first visualization it would filter the second visualization (the one with the verbatim responses, or functional equivalents) by those IDs.  That is, you would see the verbatim responses from just those respondents associated with the selected items in the first viz.

The problem is that putting all of those IDs on the LoD will create a lots of marks and that may mar your primary viz. That said, there's *always* a way to work around these things.

Steve

• 3. Re: How do I link qualitative verbatims to a quantitative chart?
              elyssia.clark

Thanks Steve and Susan – Happy new year!

Steve thanks for your advice - I’ll keep playing around with what I’ve got so far.  Ideally I’m aiming for something that looks like what's at the 21.20 minute mark in this Usability Sciences webinar from 2011 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV2JTKOAN08

• 4. Re: How do I link qualitative verbatims to a quantitative chart?
                Bruce Segal

Steve:

I've achieved the same result w/o putting the unique id on the filter that's used as a worksheet. I'm not sure if I'm missing a point you were trying to make.

Elyssa:

I took a look at the video. It looks like all they are doing is using the "use as filter" setting on several worksheets in a multi-worksheet dash. See the screen shot at the end. It shows that I've picked all the people who scored the overall use of the site as a 3, and all the comments they made. (Note the comments made are just dummy data from when we were testing the on-site survey tool.) This dash is a simpler version of what's in the video.

First I set up a bar graph that shows the total count of people by the score from 1 to 5, that they gave on one question. (Here I use the score as a discrete dimension)

Then I set up a 2d worksheet that shows all the comments AND puts the score for each of those comments as a measure in a highlight graphs (high scores are greenish and low scores are brownish).

Third, I put the two worksheets on one dashboard. In a dashboard you can set a sheet (or more) to act as a filter. To do that. Be in the dashboard. Then right click the little arrow in the upper right corner of the worksheet that you want to set as a filter. A menu will open. Look about midway down and click the text "Use as Filter."

Now as you click on the bar that shows the count of people who gave an overall rank of 3, the survey comments are automatically displayed. Click on the bar for people who gave us an overall score of 1, and just those comments are shown. To unfilter, just double click the selected bar.

We can create more bar graphs to use as filters, just like in the video. Say all the respondents by gender, or age. Set each of those to "use as filter" and the filters will all work together.

Notes:

1. The "Use as Filter" setting is a great quick way to set up interactivity on a dashboard. It uses what Tbw calls "filter actions." When you're ready for even more fun, there are ways to set up "filter actions" manually to get even more customized interactivity.

2. There may be times when you want a worksheet to filter some not all of the other worksheets in a dashboard. And you can do that too.

3. There are times where you have to have the same "level of detail" set up on each worksheet that you want to have filtered. I think that's part of what Steve is getting at in his comment above.

Most importantly ...

Be sure to see Steve's blog posts on using Tableau to visualize Likert score data. He and Joe Mako and others have done some great work in that area that greatly expands on what was in that video. And Steve has pulled it all together in a twb workbook.

Here's the screen shot.

Dashboard Showing a bar graph set to Use as filter.JPG

• 5. Re: How do I link qualitative verbatims to a quantitative chart?
                  elyssia.clark

Thanks Bruce - much appreciated!  I've now set it up - very happy with how it's looking and the interactivity is a vast improvement on 20+ pages of static words in a powerpoint document!

• 6. Re: How do I link qualitative verbatims to a quantitative chart?
                    Bruce Segal

You're welcome. Happy to pass forward the help others in the Tableau community have provided me. If you feel the question is answered mark it as answered, and that will help others.

• 8. Re: How do I link qualitative verbatims to a quantitative chart?
                      Steve Wexler

Bruce,

Are you working with reshaped data here?  Can you post the packaged workbook?

My guess that if / when you use reshaped data you will need to play the response ID on the level of detail for the first visualization.  That will create a separate mark for each ID and unless you mask the bars (a very neat trick from Kelly Martin) you will make it possible to select individual responses vs. everyone that responded.

Steve

• 9. Re: How do I link qualitative verbatims to a quantitative chart?
                        Ian Kruger

Could you point out this trick of masking the bars please. I have exactly the same problem

• 10. Re: How do I link qualitative verbatims to a quantitative chart?
                          mary twomley

Hi Steve--Do you have instructions on how to mask the bars but keep their values in place ( to be able to add filter to reshaped data as you describe above)?

Cant find instructions anywhere online.

Thank you!

• 11. Re: How do I link qualitative verbatims to a quantitative chart?
                            Hideki OGAWA

Hi Elyssia,

This case is very practical and actually what the research users have  in mind.

It seems to have been solved long ago, but I tried this using LOD to show all three charts you want, using latest Tableau Desktop version now 10.3.

I assumed coded OE data will be put along columns like this data and we will need to pivot them to make a dimension.

All rows are duplicated equally so just countd(id)/{fixed : countd(id)} works to calculate %.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/hideki.ogawa#!/vizhome/SURVEY_DATA_how_to_show_verbatims_v10_3/Report?publish=yes

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Hideki Ogawa