3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2016 1:29 AM by Ryan Goodman

Displaying data by world regions

Jess Wootton

I am wanting to display disease occurrence data by six world regions, rather than by countries so I was wondering if there is an easy way to do this? At the moment I have spreadsheets for data for 8 years which at the moment is sorted by country, but I don't want to change it all to world region to then find that I can't actually display this data on tableau.

At the moment I have made a spreadsheet which assigns each country of the world to one of the 6 world regions, including the latitude and longitude for each country, but now I'm stuck as to what to do next. This probably doesn't make any sense whatsoever, but any help would be greatly appreciated as I am pretty clueless when it comes to GIS!

• 1. Re: Displaying data by world regions
          Mark Fraser

Hi Jess

I just did the attached for someone else, but it maybe useful for you

I just quickly added in some fake world regions, alongside real city, long/lat data

Using the world region on the colour tab works fine (assuming its not junk data like mine!)

I don't think Tableau can automatically map the 'world regions', so the best i think, is using on the colour tab to help differentiate.

FYI - the below is where all map information is stored for Tableau (it will depend what version your using)

C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau 8.3\Local\Data

Cheers

Mark

• 2. Re: Displaying data by world regions
            Jess Wootton

Thanks, I think I have sort of managed to do what I was trying to explain! So now I am just editing all my spreadsheets to include the world regions so that I can hopefully get all my data onto a map to display it in the way that I want! Thanks for your help

Screen Shot 2014-12-18 at 4.07.31 pm.png

• 3. Re: Displaying data by world regions
              Ryan Goodman

Out of date reply but to do this kind of stuff you can merge countries into custom regions and then easily import that into Tableau as an object so you don't have to modify your data to fit the visualization. It should be the other way around.

Simply take a world by country file and the data you have already organized in Tableau that maps your region to country.. Then import that into Region generator and it will spit out a Tableau formatted CSV file ready to be imported back into Tableau.

Full instructions are here: CMaps Analytics Region Creator