3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2015 7:21 AM by Jeff James

RDBMS Environment migration

Chris McClellan

What's the best way to tackle environment migration ?

I've been developing a workbook pointing to the DEV database instance (because we're developing the tables that Tableau is reporting on at the same time as developing the workbook).  Now the database tables have been moved to the TEST database instance.  In Tableau I created a new data connection, then replaced the data source ..... all my custom colour coding reset to Tableau default and I had to re-apply and all aliases were lost as well.

Is this standard functionality ?
      Is there any other way to do this without resetting colours & aliases ?

Cheers

• 1. Re: RDBMS Environment migration
          Jeff James

Thoroughly unsupported, but the "easy" answer would be the edit the XML in the workbook. Change the server, database, schema, whatever to the new value.

I haven't testing this specific scenario, but everything else should be preserved.

• 2. Re: RDBMS Environment migration
            Chris McClellan

Good that you posted Jeff, because we moved to PROD over the weekend and I didn't have the same issue.

One thing I forgot to mention last time (which I think is the real problem), when we moved from DEV to TEST the server changed BUT the view in the database changed name as well ... and we lost all colour coding, formatting, etc...   When we moved from TEST to PROD there was only the server change so I just editted the current connection and changed the server name and we did NOT lose any colour coding and formatting.

I haven't done this before, so I'll have to check if changing the view name caused the issue, or replacing the data source caused the issue.

Cheers

• 3. Re: RDBMS Environment migration
              Jeff James

Glad to hear the migration went well.

Replacing a data source may/will change the colors.

Replacing a Data Source | Tableau Software

Best practice would be to have the view named the same in all environments. At least create a view with consistent naming even if the base names vary. Otherwise, you're editing the XML if you want to avoid the color changes.

If you aren't comfortable editing the XML, you could change the data source to custom SQL and make the changes there.