2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2014 12:06 PM by Helen Lindsay

How can I maximise the insight from multiple response questions?

Helen Lindsay

Hi everyone,

We asked our Website Effectiveness Network Bowen Craggs | Network group how they use web analytics. For example:

How do you use / report your web analytics data?

1. Standard reports / dashboards produced by the analytics tool(s) 

2. Customised reports / dashboards produced by the analytics tool(s) 

3. We analyse and combine data into a static format (Word, PowerPoint, PDF).  

4. We analyse and combine data into an interactive format (e.g. Excel, online dashboard) 

5. We do not use / report analytics data

Multiple responses were allowed. Although options 1 to 4 represent a hierarchy of maturity, a company might use approach 4 but not 1-3. Some will use all 1-4. 

Can anyone suggest an engaging way of showing the patterns of response? For example:

• In most companies someone (web analyst or agency) will use the standard reports / dashboards e.g. Google Analytics (GA)
      • How many companies also produce customised reports for one or more internal stakeholders (e.g. head of media)?
      • How many go further and combine data from surveys, GA, usability testing etc to give greater insight?
      • Which companies, if any, use interactive dashboards? (A practice we would like to encourage)  

Our survey sample is small (<50 companies) but I hope that publishing an insightful viz will encourage greater participation.

In the past (for our own use only), I've represented the data in Excel (where each row represents a respondent).

• 1. Re: How can I maximise the insight from multiple response questions?
          Susan Baier

Hi Helen,

The simplest thing would be to create a highlight table like the image I've attached. Once you've done that you could either add columns for different groups of respondents you've created, or put a filter on it that would allow you to only see figures from particular groups (e.g. those who use Google Analytics) to see only what else that group uses.

Does that help?Screenshot 2014-12-04 10.19.57.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How can I maximise the insight from multiple response questions?
            Helen Lindsay

Q10 to post.jpg

Thanks for your helpful suggestion Susan. I don't have a gradation of colour here as every row is one respondent and there is never any more than 1 record in a cell. Whilst it's very basic, this does help me to analyse the data (versus a table). But it falls short of what I hope to use for publication.

So, I'm playing with calculated fields for the combinations e.g. use standard and customised reports

Options 1-4 for this particular question represent a hierarchy so maybe I can use a calculated field to show the highest level achieved.

Helen