5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2014 11:53 AM by Shawn Wallwork

Losing Annotations and Marks

Matt Miller

I have a viz that has annotations and marks on it.  I added a "Today" reference line. That line is causing me to lose my annotations EVERY 24 hours.  As soon as I removed "Today" from the Detail pane, my annotations before adding this field return.  Is there a better way to do this?  Is this a problem with the product?

• 1. Re: Losing Annotations and Marks
          Matt Lutton

Can you post an example so we can visually see and interact with the viz?

You can mock up this scenario using Superstore Sales, or another sample dataset, and post the TWBX here.  I'm not clear on what you are describing, from the text alone.

Cheers!

• 2. Re: Losing Annotations and Marks
            Matt Miller

I uploaded a set with the Superstore Sales.  You can see as you remove "Today" from the Detail pane that annotations appear.

• 3. Re: Losing Annotations and Marks
              Matt Lutton

So, it appears that the annotation will stay put if you add it AFTER adding your TODAY reference line.

Let me ask this -- what are your intended goals for this view?  I'm wondering if there may be other ways to accomplish what you are after. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Losing Annotations and Marks
                Matt Miller

After loading the mmiller_Test viz 24hrs later, my annotations are missing (when I have the TODAY reference line).  Exactly as I initially mentioned.  Are you seeing something different.

My goals are to be able to annotate my Viz while also having a line that represents today's date so that it is very easy to follow as more "sales are processed".  My backend data is updating rather regularly; and I would like to represent those changes with annotations.

Thanks for the help!

• 5. Re: Losing Annotations and Marks
                  Shawn Wallwork

You are annotating marks, which is essentially an x,y coordinate. When you update/change one of the axis the point is shifted relative to the other marks, so T eliminates this annotation. I suspect if you send this into support they are going to tell you that this is 'as designed'. So it sounds like should do as Matthew suggested, and figure out a different way of communicating the info without using annotations.

--Shawn