3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2014 3:24 PM by Gary Chan

Policy acceptance web page for first-time Tableau web users

Gary Chan

Is there a way on the Tableau Web Server to automatically pop-up a web page for first-time user?  We want our users to read and to click to accept policy before using Tableau Web server.

• 1. Re: Policy acceptance web page for first-time Tableau web users
          Patrick Van Der Hyde

I do not know of a way to do this with Tableau Server other than potentially creating something in the default Viz with a 'acceptance' button used as a action filter. 

-- Patrick

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Policy acceptance web page for first-time Tableau web users
            Matt Lutton

It sounds like you're wanting to customize your Tableau Server implementation in ways that are not built-in to a typical Tableau Server configuration.

I believe you might be able to accomplish what you want by leveraging a SAML IdP (identity provider) for authentication of your Server users.  Unfortunately, I don't know much more about how you would set this up or what IdP you might look into.  I have simply heard others on this Forum say that using a SAML vendor can allow you to do things like this, or things like forcing password changes on initial log-in, etc.  I have not been able to find any examples/documentation, other than passing thoughts and suggestions from other Tableau users.  This is definitely something that is NOT built into a typical Server implementation. 

I wish I could provide more guidance, but I too, am unsure of how something like this could be implemented.  I know there are ways to implement things like what you are looking for, but I have been unable to find any good information on how we can do this without hiring another company/developer to do the work outside of Tableau. 

It would be great if you find any clarity on the topic, and can post back here as I'm pretty confused about options in this realm.

I would be very interested to hear what you come up with -- please post back here with any successes you might have.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Policy acceptance web page for first-time Tableau web users
              Gary Chan

Our web developer suggested creating an index page for the Tableau Server.  On the index page, we can put our policy with an acceptance checkbox.  Once the checkbox is selected by a visitor, it dropped a cookie to the visitor's PC and re-direct the user to the actual Tableau Server web page.  So next time the visitor goes to Tableau Server again on his/her PC, a javascript on the index page will see the cookie and just re-direct the visitor to the Tableau Server.  We are going to give this a try.