1 of 1 people found this helpful
I had to go through a similar exercise very recently. I'm curious if my path will help-
Here is what I did:
1. I opened the Tableau workbook that has a connection to 1 (or more) data sources.
2. I connected to the new data set as a data source in the same Tableau workbook - this data source had different column naming
3. I (one-by-one) edited the alias of all the column names in the new data source to match the current source. (Tableau is case sensitive, so pay attention to uppercase and lowercase characters)
4. In the header of the Tableau application, I clicked "Data" >> "Replace Data Source..."
5. I switch the current with the New
Everything works as expect.
Like you, if anyone has a potentially faster way to make this switch, I'd love to hear other solutions.
Maybe there is an "idea" out there that could extend the "Replace Data Source" functionality that would allow a user to map the physical columns of one data source to the physical columns of another data source (even if the column names/case are not the same).